iPad delayed cause of Smart Cover...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xApexPredator, Mar 15, 2012.

1. xApexPredator, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

xApexPredator macrumors newbie

So I ordered my iPad on the 8th of March, with the grey smart cover, and apparently it was out of stock but the person on the phone didn't say this and continued to order the two items together.

My delivery time is now dropped back to the 20th of March (Which I was only informed of 2 hours ago) because of this stupid reason. I don't see why they couldn't have emailed me in the last 8 days informing me that it was out of stock, or better yet shipping them separately. I can't even cancel the order and buy it in store either.

Spoke to customer services and they can't do anything about it even though this is completely because of their own mistakes. I'm not the most impatient person ever but when they only tell me within 24 hours of the scheduled delivery it begins to take the piss.

I love Apple and their products but this has put a huge dent in my respect for them.

Has anyone had any similar problems?

- Didn't tell me Smart Cover was out of stock

- Got my email address wrong after several times (including me specifically asking her to check it)

- Got my home address wrong

- Got my billing address wrong even though it was on the credit card

- Subsequently, by getting my email wrong I don't know who I spoke to. I had to phone a few days later to correct them

2. number84 macrumors 6502

even u ordered together, they will ship separately based on what's available....doubt they will hold back your iPad because the smart cover is delayed.

3. xApexPredator thread starter macrumors newbie

^^ They have, I've not come to this conclusion on my own, this is what was told to me by customer services.

4. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

They all ship separate. I've placed orders for multiple in stock items on their site and everything arrive in its own box.

I recall a comment on MR the other day where someone got their Smart Cover and the FedEx guy asked what was in it because he had a ton of boxes just like it on his truck. Apple definitely shipped covers separate and are not holding iPads.

You can check for FedEx tracking via reference number. I use that when I don't get tracking numbers fast enough :)

5. readyforryan macrumors member

+1
    Two different items shipped separately whenever available.

6. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Before you check out on the Apple website, it says that your order will only be shipped when all items are available right?

Yeah, just checked. It does...

Attached Files:

7. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

if anyone is planning on getting a new smart cover...i would suggest checking ebay

i sold my old green smart cover with my ipad2...but then after preordering the new iPad, I decided I wanted to pick up a black leather smart cover.
    for 70 though, its quite a rip off..not to mention i already spent 40 on one!

so, i searched ebay..and there was a seller with some GENUINE apple black leather smart covers for 49.99 shipped..and it showed up today (2 days!)..

saved 20 bucks..still sorta a rip off, but not as bad!

(i also checked the package and compared it to my original smart cover, its definitely a real one)

8. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Why would they not ship the iPad? When I pre-ordered my iPad, I also bought a smart cover and Digital AV adapter. I have already received the smart cover and adapter, so I know they will send items separately based on availability.

9. pdawg macrumors regular

That would really annoy me too. Hopefully the Apple guy was wrong in saying they would ship together and now be delayed. Most places just ship as available, especially for something as big as the iPad.

10. xApexPredator thread starter macrumors newbie

If they ship separately why was I told by an apple representative that my iPad had been delayed because of the Smart Cover being out of stock at the time of purchase.

Also they completely messed up my address, even though it was billed to the cardholder.

I ordered over the phone, they didn't tell me it was out of stock, they even said multiple times it would be delivered for the 16th of March.

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I preordered my iPad and then walked into an Apple Store to buy my Smart Cover a week in advance, no need to do both in the same order.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

13. Moze macrumors member

Sounds like someone messed up and they're blaming it on the smart cover...

I ordered a smart cover at the same time and they shipped separately. My smart cover shipped out on the 7th.

14. boxster99t macrumors member

I feel your pain, but just because that is what customer services said, does not make it true.

I ordered two iPads and one smart cover on March 7, and the smart cover arrived last Saturday. Both iPads are due tomorrow. Something else happened with your order and my recollection was that at some point on March 8, delivery times moved from delivered on March 16 to shipping on March 19. Sounds like your order missed the cutoff for a March 16 delivery and had nothing to do with a smartcover.

Apple is not mistake proof, but they would not have held up your iPad for the smart cover. In the end, it doesn't matter. It stinks to wait, and there's not much you can do about it (unless you want to cancel your order and try to buy one locally in a store).

15. vaughany18 macrumors member

my ipad and smart cover have been shipped separately and ive had no delays (obviously mine wasnt out of stock)
    FAO:

Daniel Vaughan
    Customer Ref2:

Collecting Location:

Walsh Western

Default:

Bournemouth 020 (D)
    Current:

Bournemouth 020 (D)
    Parcel Scan History

Parcel

Tracking Id

Scan Date

Time

User

Scan Type

Holding Container

?

15/03/2012

11:05:47

Birmingham

14109 - AutoSort Scan

Auto-Sort National

?

15/03/2012

11:05:48

Birmingham

14109 - AutoSort Scan

In Collecting Warehouse Scan

?

15/03/2012

15:27:50

Birmingham

14109 - AutoSort Scan

Auto-Sort National

?

15/03/2012

15:27:51

Birmingham

14109 - AutoSort Scan

In Collecting Warehouse Scan

thats the info ive got from ukmail for both parcels

16. xApexPredator thread starter macrumors newbie

Am I in grounds here to cancel my order? I updated the first post with the list that went wrong that I didnt include in the original.

I honestly would rather walk in an Apple Store tomorrow and buy one instead of waiting till Tuesday (If it even comes, they've put the wrong address on it)

17. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

...and that's how I learned my lesson.

Seriously, that sucks dude...I feel for ya.

18. pavvento macrumors 6502

That's interesting. When I pre-ordered my iPad I also ordered the camera dock. The dock arrived 3 days ago. I wonder if it depends on which is available first?

19. xApexPredator thread starter macrumors newbie

Rang someone else and explained the situation and they are taking the price of the smart cover off the goods... so apart from the delay, a good result.

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

do it! go to walmart tonight and get one before apple sales them

21. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Maybe that's your problem right there. Get your own card with your own address.