Resolved iPad died, why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kutuzov, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Kutuzov, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

Kutuzov macrumors member

Yesterday I took my first generation iPad with me on a bike ride, and on my way home it started raining. It rained so hard that during the ten minutes it took for me to get home the backpack got soaked, but the black cover (the one that covers the iPad entirely and came with the first generation) was just a little damp. At first I didn't think it was damp at all, I just noticed that when I had taken the iPad out of the cover. To my horror when I started the iPad it had areas on the screen that were lighter than the rest. I turned the iPad off but it kept restarting itself (btw the touch screen and everything else including the wi-fi worked perfectly at this point), so I just lay it there for the night. About sixteen hours later I started it again and now there were larger lighter areas than before and it flickered sometimes when I used the touch screen. I let it rest some more and then four hours later it wouldn't start at all.

So I'm pretty confused? It was hardly damp, and why did it take so long for it to stop working?

Basically: what is the likely cause of this malfunction? Which component might have been involved etc.?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say if your backpack got soaked because of rain, and your iPad exhibited odd symptoms to the point of it not working, its water damage.

As for the components, they're all on the logic board, it probably doesn't matter, you'll need to replace your iPad if it doesn't come back to life.

Stick it in a bag of rice for a couple of days to draw out the moisture and see if that helps.

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

The screen issues have to do with the LCD; most likely moisture got in it. Bottom line is, the two most expensive components are most likely damaged beyond repair, and at this point it would be better to sell it for parts and buy a new iPad instead of repairing it. The repairs could equal out to be the same, if not, more then a new iPad. Best Buy is currently having a $100 off sale on the iPad Air, that would most likely be your best bet. However, if you want the latest tech, the new iPads will probably come out shortly after the iPhone 6 later this year.

Even if you do get the iPad Air, it is a lot faster then the 1st Gen iPad (1GHz single core A4 32-bit with 256MB of RAM versus 1.4GHz Dual core A7 64-bit with 1GB of RAM). If it were me I would upgrade if you have the money.

4. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

5. Kutuzov thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. My parents had a spare first generation iPad so I guess I'll stick to that version but I'll be keeping it wrapped in plastic wherever I go.

6. GalFriday macrumors member

That's not a good idea. It encourages condensation.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Try a ziplock bag, and open it every once in a while to let any condensation escape.

8. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Or just take more caution next time. Water + electronics = BAD. Just get a good cover or something. Or a nice pouch. I use a smart cover on my iPad Air along with an Incase pouch to carry it around to and from work, etc.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Water.

----------

Don't keep it wrapped in plastic, just carry a ziplock bag and use it when you need it.