iPad iPad dilemma

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nanogirl21, Oct 25, 2013.

1. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I have been wanting an iPad for almost 2 years now, but I have been holding out. I have an iPhone 5 and really love the new true tone flash and touch id. Both of my favorite features are not on any of the new iPads. Do you guys think that these two features will ever be added into an iPad? If so, when? If not, why not?

I have been debating with myself because I can really live without the touch id and I will always have my phone when I do have the iPad so I can always use that to take photos. Just seems like these two features should be in the iPad. If an iPad do come out with these features 9 times out of 10 it will cost the same as I would be paying without the features. So should I wait? or should I go for it? Ugh i'm so confused! See my dilemma?

Help please

2. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

There have been a lot of people with your dilema posting the same thing.... If you keep waiting until the next best, you will never get one.

Life pro-tip, try and live life more in the now.

:)

3. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Risk is if you wait for the iPad with those features by then a new iPhone have arrived and it has some great new features you'd wish you had and maybe you should wait for, etc etc... In my honest opinion, If you have a phone you have the ability to take pictures already, and better yet, with a device thats a little smoother to hold for taking pictures. Touch ID I understand. But unless you feel like you're in a situation where touch ID is a necessity, both the mini and air update are two great updated devices that appears to be nice powerhouses. If touch ID feels like a necessity, do you have other options than the iphone to begin with?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You always buy the product thats currently available and if it fits your budget and needs.

You've been wanting an iPad for 2 years now and are still not satisfied with what just got announced and are willing to wait another year because this iPad still does not meet your needs, it seems to me you don't actually want or need an iPad.

5. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Love your pro-life tip! Mind is I quote it on a blog?

----------

This is true. It took me a VERY long time to switch from Blackberry to iPhone because I was always wondering was was next. I finally took the bullet and switched even though I wasn't 100% happy. Now, 4 years later, I cannot leave my iPhone. It is the best thing ever. Only thing that is different for me is that the iPad isn't guarunteed a replacement every 2 years like the phones. With the phones I don't feel like I am stuck with an old device when new ones come out. I know I can always sale the iPad and upgrade if I choose. However, I personally find selling items like that and not being shot in the foot with a lost of money is really hard. The touch ID for me as I said is not a deal breaker. I really don't mind just entering in my 4 didget pass code. For me it is not quicker (or slower) than using my fingerprint. I just think it is a really cool feature!

6. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Given your quoting skills, how would anyone know if you did? :p

Back OT: I'd hate to think of all the folks who would now be able to use their iPads to take pictures in low light situations. Their iPad displays would just be so much more light pollution for anyone else trying to photograph.

7. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Yes, I have been waiting for 2 years becuae I was never satisfied with the models that were out. I really do like the new ones that was just announced and I am interesed in the mini. As I said before only thing that is holding me up was the camera and touch ID. iPads have only been out for 3 years and I don't think waiting 2 year's is a horrible thing. I have had an a tablet of another brand, so there was no NEED for me to get an iPad. Now that I no longer have that tablet, I am in the market to purchase an iPad. Not that I NEED it but becuase I WANT it. Just like kid purchase game conelses for pure pleasure tablets for me are used as pleasure and I would like to give an iPad a try. Just because I didn't run out and buy a product that is currently avalible and it fits in my budget dosen't make me a bad guy.

----------

Sorry can you explain? I don't understand what you mean by light pollution for anyone else trying to photograph.

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'm right with you. I find the new Touch ID so wonderfully easy to use and I really wanted it on my new iPad. I constantly try to unlock my existing mini by holding my finger on the home button and I thought for sure at least the large iPad would get Touch ID. Now that it doesn't, I almost want to pass on this generation but I really want a full size iPad again as my eyes aren't getting any younger. Do I pass? Do I just get a base model to tide me over till the next gen with the intention to sale that one? I know I do not want a heavy beast iPad 3 or 4 so a refurb is not an option. Might Apple do a quicker refresh say in the spring, kind of like when they released the 4?

What to do, what to do.

9. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Funny you mention quick refresh, because I was just wondering how often do Apple release iPads. During the keynote it was mentioned that they have been working on this model of the iPad for a few years now. Seems if they have been working for a few years on this deisgn what is another 6 months going to hurt? Wouldn't they just release it with 100% up to date features? I have noticed that all the iPads have been behind (in some way or another) compared to the iPhones. I know this has alot to do with marketing and brand loyalty, but still. I find it interesting. The famous question is "when is the next gen. iPad Air coming out?" LOL :)

10. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Can anyone see Apple pulling a reverse 2012 in 2014 and release an updated iPad with TouchID in the Spring? Perhaps once supplies for 5S are under control? Perhaps make the base model 32GB at the same time? Because that would really suck.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Go for the new Air or Mini. Resale value is usually pretty good, lots of folks go for the next one when it is released and don't lose out too much dollar wise.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Other than the fact that I simply wanted a iPad with Touch ID is the fact that now....

Only 1 product will have Touch ID for 1 year (If Apple follows its once a year fall refresh cycles).

That bites. What type of expansion of it's use into other areas can / will we see when its limited to only 1 device??

13. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

That would be great :)

14. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Picture a group of people gathered around some object or event, and a number of them trying to photograph it with their iPads. In a well-lit area (where photographing with a flash-less iPad is possible), the people behind the iPad owners have a somewhat more blocked view, but maybe not so bad.

Then, picture the same in low light, where a built-in flash now makes the iPad usable. The light from all the iPad displays is now blinding the people in back, even if the iPad itself is not occluding their view.