Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Yesterday, I went to the Apple store and saw the iPad - the display is beautiful - the text was crisp (not a blurry as people said it was).

However, when I put the iPad next to the iPhone 4, I obviously saw how much more sharp the iPhone's screen was, but it looked like the iPhone's blacks were more black, white were more white (iPhone had better contrast) and the iPhone was much brighter than the iPad. (both had same background).

Does the iPhone's screen have better contrast?
Is the "retina" display making the iPhone 4's screen brighter?
Do you think the next gen iPad will have better contrast and brightness?

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I own both an iPhone 4 and a 3G iPad. Using the iPhone 4 will make you wish your iPad looked as sharp. The retina display does help with deep blacks and makes colors pop. Not sure about the brightness as the iPad seems very bright as well. It may just be the lighting in the Apple Store you were in.

I find it hard to believe they will bring the retina display to the iPad anytime soon based on cost alone. But we are talking about Apple so I wouldn't be surprised if they did do it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Retina is just referring to resolution. Nothing to do with black levels. But yes, the iPhone 4 blacks are in a different league to the iPad's. Better quality IPS panel in the iPhone 4, that's why.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Yesterday, I went to the Apple store and saw the iPad - the display is beautiful - the text was crisp (not a blurry as people said it was).

However, when I put the iPad next to the iPhone 4, I obviously saw how much more sharp the iPhone's screen was, but it looked like the iPhone's blacks were more black, white were more white (iPhone had better contrast) and the iPhone was much brighter than the iPad. (both had same background).

Does the iPhone's screen have better contrast?
Is the "retina" display making the iPhone 4's screen brighter?
Do you think the next gen iPad will have better contrast and brightness?

Considering they are two completely different devices the differences would be rather obvious. Not to mention the two have completely different types of displays. You are aware of this fact right? As for the rest of your post, no one knows for sure what Apple will do. Chances are you will not see a Retina (marketing term that works every time on most people) in an iPad do to cost, the power it will need to drive it, etc... (thousand other reasons mentioned here to be searched).

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks for all the replies, so the "retina display" is making the iPhone 4 have better contrast.

BTW: I know "retina display" is just a marketing term by Apple thats why I put "" around it. I also know that the next gen iPad won't have 300+ ppi display becuase of the amount of processing power needed and cost.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Considering they are two completely different devices the differences would be rather obvious. Not to mention the two have completely different types of displays. You are aware of this fact right? As for the rest of your post, no one knows for sure what Apple will do. Chances are you will not see a Retina (marketing term that works every time on most people) in an iPad do to cost, the power it will need to drive it, etc... (thousand other reasons mentioned here to be searched).

Both are LED backlit. Both are IPS. One is smaller and has more PPI. The iPad has a higher res display 1024-by-768. Unlike the iPhone at 960-by-640. However the iPhone has 326 ppi and iPad has 132 ppi. So apart from more/less pixels and more/less PPI, and different size, the displays are the same. They use the same tech (LED and IPS)

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Let's not forget that the iPhone display is bonded to the glass, so it appears to sit right on top, where as the iPad display is like 99% of all other displays in the world, where there is space between the panel and the glass.

This might account for some of the contrast differences.

Even if the display stayed at the same res, but was changed to this new production technique in rev2, it would be a nice improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.