iPad...do I really need one!? Advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Smeaton1724, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Smeaton1724, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I feel myself gravitating towards an iPad but not sure I can justify getting one!

At the moment my gadgets are:
    Macbook Pro 13" 2010, 1TB and 8GB Ram (Main machine at home)
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Kindle 4 (the new UK variant)
    Xbox 360 Slim 250GB
    WD TV Live Media Player with 1TB

Due to my work (Structural Engineer) I spend the majority of my days at work sat at a desk staring at monitors on drawings, typing and using a mouse, occasionally visiting sites. When I get home I don't particularly want to sit on the laptop having the same experience as at work, i.e keyboard and mouse/trackpad - unless I'm working over and then I have a 24" Monitor to work from.

Also I've always had games consoles, mainly for local multiplayer over some beer and pizza, as University has finished that doesn't happen so often and I find the 360 just sitting there whilst I spend time relaxing on the sofa watching media I've downloaded via iTunes and other sources, occasionally browsing IMDB and other sites on my iPhone.

Generally I see an iPad taking the place of the 360 but offering a different gaming experience - a refreshing one as I feel console gaming has got stale. Whilst also being slightly more portable than the Macbook and being a better pdf reader than the kindle and also taking some use away from my iPhone.

The next issue I have is which iPad, 1 or 2. Deals on the iPad 1 are cheap however I think the processor of the 2 and slight weight decrease would be to my advantage longer term. I have around 800GB of Video, 100GB Music, 25GB Photos, 10GB PDF's, so currently no iPad on the market could suit my needs so is there any point in going past the 32GB or 16GB?

My choice is:
    1. No iPad
    2. iPad 1 32GB and 3G for £319 (GBP)
    3. iPad 2 16GB wifi only £359

Advice please as I'm going around in circles!

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

You should replace the kindle with an iPad 2 ;) seriously they are worth it iPad 2 vs iPad choose the iPad 2 it will be more future proof get the 64GB wifi only because it will save you money and you get max storage go for it!!!!

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Personally I don't think you need one. It would be no mor than a nice toy to use a the moment. You have an iPhone and a kindle, so the only benefit of getting an iPad at the point is to do what the phone can on a larger screen.

You have a powerful computer and you do work on that; the kindle, IMO, is going to be better to read with, due to it not having a bright backlight in your face (if you're doing heavy reading anyway).

It's a great device; I have a 2011 MBP right now and I seriously thought about getting a tablet; after I got my 4S that want completely vanished.

Gaming is... Different; some games are great on both the iPad and iPhone, but they won't replace actual console gaming. It's only great for an hot or do at a time during the day.

Of course, all my opinion.

4. Smeaton1724 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Thank you for the advice.

I've decided that I'm going to wait and see what the iPad 3 offers. At the moment it would just be an "extra device" to what is already a cluttered place - my iPod collection continues to grow at quite a rate.

I love my kindle for the battery life. In terms of the 360 I'm still mulling over selling it due to the macbook exceeding my performance expectations for fifa 12 via bootcamp and windows 7.

5. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

iPad2 with 32GB is my recommendation

I have the 16Gb and sort of regret not getting the 32. I have learned to keep my synced data to a minimum, and that way manage OK. 64 (for me at least) would be a waste, but the 3G option is a must, as I use LogMeIn ignition frequently and not always near a hot-spot.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I own an iPad 1. I love it and use it all the time.

Is the iPad something you "need?" No. But depending on your use pattern, it could be the device you wind up using the most. I take my iPad to community group meetings. I stopped using my old netbook when I got my iPad and I'm working on selling the netbook before it's completely worthless.

Your plan to wait for the iPad 3 might pay off. The 3 is likely to have a higher resolution display for the same price as the 2. You have all you "need" right now though you might decide to sell the Kindle 3 when you get the iPad as the Kindle software or cloud reader work great on the iPad.

@Davegoody: I agree the 16 GB is too small for my needs as well. The next iPad I get will have more storage.