iPad Dock and iPad Dock w/keyboard ?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by nutsnbolts, May 15, 2010.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Anyone can give me a reason, other than cost why instead of purchasing the iPad dock w/keyboard is a better option rather than just purchasing the iPad dock (already bought one, I need another) and then purchasing a bluetooth keyboard?

I would think buying the dock and separate keyboard would be more versatile.

Just out of curiosity, I don't know if I'm missing a feature with the one iPad w/keyboard dock.

If not, then I'm going to purchase another dock and a bluetooth keyboard. I could always use a bluetooth keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

2. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh another thing, the only reason I'm entertaining a dock is I like the fact that it stands up while charging.

I do plan to purchase a case (already have the Speck Candy Shell) that has an integrated stand but waiting till these things come up in full force. Right now everything seems to be in development. At least the good ones that is out there.

3. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I have both the BT keyboard and the keyboard dock. The two keyboards are NOT identical. The keyboard dock has some iPad specific keys that are missing from the BT keyboard.

Neither one is inherently "better" than the other. It all depends upon what your needs are.

I initially bought the keyboard dock because I expected to have the iPad docked in my den or kitchen island. That setup is solid and stable. It offers more of a "clean" integrated setup than propping up the iPad in a case with a separate keyboard.

The keyboard dock is portable. It can easily fit in a backpack even though the dock's backplate is a bit awkward. I simply decided to keep the keyboard dock stationed at home and get a BT keyboard for traveling.

4. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input. I'm actually going to use the regular dock to prop up iPad and the bluetooth keyboard for versatility based on your statement.

You did mention that there are specific keyboard keys for the iPad, what are those keys? I can't think of how those "shortcuts" would be a deal breaker for versatility.

Lastly, you also mentioned that the keyboard dock is portable? Does it fold?

5. schulzmc macrumors regular

Battery life may be an issue - you don't have to have Bluetooth on with the dock.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

I just got my refurbed BT Keyboard yesterday, and the one key i was surprised that didn't map was the "home" button that is on the connected version.

No biggie, i knew that the keyboard dock would just NEVER work for the way my daughter and I will be using it. I just played with it for a few minutes yesterday and it worked well. I hadn't even given a thought to the music controls working - so when i was playing "press the keys to see what they do" - i jumped when the Peas came on. Gee, i'd played with the volume first! LOL!!

I have the Speck Candyshell and it is nice to not have to remove it from the case to use the dock. Although, i do think i want to go find one of the biz card holders everyone is using for landscape use.

That said, the dock fits nice at the bottom of my Timbuk2 bag, and the keyboard should slip in when i need it. I just didn't think i'd like the bulkiness of the keyboard dock.

I actually anticipate my kids stealing the keyboard for the mini. It has the old white keyboard on it and everyone hates to type on it! :D