iPad does content creation.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by musika, Aug 28, 2011.

1. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I'm just going to express my views on the whole "iPad does not do content creation" argument that people seem so stuck on. Many will probably disagree with me, however, I'd absolutely love to hear opinions from other iPad users or iPad haters.

I'm a musician, as well as a graphic designer. I feel that people have pigeonholed the iPad, from the beginning, as a device with no productive capabilities. My feeling is that text is not the only form of productivity, and that people seem to forget this. Something about the iPad opens up a surge of creativity for me, and I'm sure many others on this forum. The keyboard may not be the best for typing, and maybe carrying a Bluetooth keyboard isn't ideal for everybody, but I think it's rather shortsighted to hate on an entire form factor based on only one form of content creation.

In music, it serves as a musical journal. It's like nothing else out there. You can map out a new piece in GarageBand or even begin composing in something like Symphony Pro. Being able to start a piece in GarageBand and export it to Logic Pro is killer! For artists and designers there are incredible productivity tools like Sketchbook Pro and my favourite, Procreate. In education, while not always used for content creation, the iPad is revolutionary. This could really change education as we know it. The iPad helps cater not only to the curriculum but, more importantly, each student, as an individual. Apps help to focus more on learning than only the test, and students who used to feel as if they were held back or weren't as good as other students are finding, through the iPad, that learning differently doesn't have to mean not learning at all.

So, I'd love to hear some of your opinions on the iPad for content creation and even how you've made use of the iPad.

Sent from my iPad.

2. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Sure it does content creation it just does not do it on the level of a desktop/notebook. I think this is what many are saying. Tablets in their current form can cover 80%-85% (sound about right) of what the average user does on their computer comfortably. However there is that 15%-20% that makes them short of becoming replacements.

3. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Obviously the iPad can create content, just not as well as a computer would let you

4. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

I agree, but that's why a desktop + tablet combo is great. Yeah, I understand that may not be quite affordable for everyone, so maybe it's wrong of me to impose that upon people. But I do feel like people put the iPad down far too often and many do openly say that it can't do content creation. It's called a toy, often, as the Mac was back in 1984, which I think is a little shortsighted.

5. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I think the term "toy" is thrown around because tablets are not really needed in our day to day lives. Now an iPhone is not really needed by most either but smartphones have blended seamlessly into many peoples lives and for the most part makes some aspects of life easier. Many who purchase tablets due so already owning a combination of smartphone/desktop/notebook. This leaves that person in the difficult position trying to justify or explain their purchase (most of the times to themselves). How does a tablet fit in their life when they already have devices that can accomplish the same or more? This is why "toy" is sometimes used.

I have come to realize that tablets are splurges and excess for most owners. However most of us already own products that we don't need and are splurges and excess. We don't go around justifying those purchases. Tablets are not a need but a want and that's OK.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

i'm not sure it is a debate anymore.

the ipad is not a replacement for a computer in most cases, but it is a wonderful supplement, especially if you are looking for both an ereader and a content creator.

hooking up a bluetooth keyboard to the ipad and learning all of the commands makes it possible to get most of the benefits of a laptop with a fraction of the price and weight along with longer battery life.

of course, the ipad can't do everything. even though i use it for about 90 percent of my work, there is a pesky 10 percent or so that the ipad cannot do. particularly frustrating is the inability to get from the beginning of a project to the end without a computer somewhere along the way. the ipad just doesn't have the capability (or the apps) yet to produce basic stuff for business / academia. but, that's ok. i can get really far with it, and i'm satisfied.

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Prepare to be flamed here, but I'm with you--I've done some awesome stuff with my iPad in the way of content creation. But any time I've posted about it, I've been met with a lot of argument. One person even assumed that what I created was crap because I did it on my iPad, which is obviously NOT a content creation device.

But I disagree. As a musician, I have been making use of GarageBand for exactly what you said. Sketching ideas, mixing and matching them into songs, etc. I let my older son do "vocals" sometimes and am amazed at how awesome the built in mic is at picking up his voice. He just gets a kick out of hearing himself on the tracks. I usually do something goofy to his voice so it sounds weird. Yes, GarageBand will limit you sometimes because it's not a fully hashed out version of the program, but hey, it was $5, and it is a terrific tool. I have even used it for the purpose of creating sketches or whole songs/sections of songs and e mailed the tracks out to friends for opinions. That's content creation, collaboration, and communication. All done from the iPad.

I also created a slide show in iMovie for my wife's grandma. Another $5 app. I did it for 2 reasons: to see if I could get the desired result on my iPad alone, and also because I had limited time to work on it, and I thought I could do edits and revisions on the train to and from work. Verdict? It worked beautifully. When I put that story up on the forums, it did not go over too well. I'm not sure why. I'm no video editor--I actually suck at that kind of stuff. But when someone in the family needs a slide show done, they usually come to me, basically because I know how to use a computer. In the past I have done these in Windows Movie Maker. These days, I do them in iMovie and get the same desired affect.

With the recent purchase of a Smart Cover I have become more and more accustomed to typing on the iPad as well. This is something I used to have some issues with, but folding that cover up into a triangle and propping the iPad up at an angle really makes a difference. Definitely good enough to type up an e mail or Pages document. I didn't buy any of the other iWork stuff, but I would if the necessity was there for me. They just aren't needed for me on a daily basis.

Needless to say, I have done tons of content creation on my iPad, and it's a gadget that is with me at all times. Yes, my iPhone is too, but I use the two devices for entirely different purposes. When people express their enjoyment of their iPads, they tend to be accused of trying to justify their purchase. I think that's BS. I bought mine mainly as an e reader for the train and a web browser. I figured I would use my iPhone for everything else. But the iPad has made a lot of the stuff I used to do on my iPhone a lot more tolerable. These days, my iPhone is reserved for calls and texts, and everything else gets done on the iPad.

P.S. Since buying my iPad, I have sold my laptop, and have not missed it for a second.

8. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

I'm glad you agree. I feel like the iPad is commonly underrated for what it can actually do, which is quite a lot. Sure, a desktop or notebook computer can be very useful as well, but the iPad can really do most. It's a very creative computer.

9. henry72, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I agree. There are many people that doesn't know what the iPad can do or they just don't want to change the way they normal do on a laptop everyday.

Since I bought my first iPad 2 this year in March, it is just amazing what I can do with this thing plus 10 hours of battery life I just fall in love with it :D It basically go everywhere with me. Now I'm waiting for a redesigned iMac and sell my MacBook Air, I don't need to carry a laptop around anymore.

I use Pages, Keynotes, Goodreader, Mail, Safari, iPod, Games etc... when I need to type a long essay, I just simply connect to a BT keyboard and all good to go. However, I do love the touch screen as well. I didn't find that hard to type on, but sometime the on screen keyboard use up too much space on the iPad screen :)

The iOS5 will take the iPad even further, I just can't wait to update it ;)
    Cool story bro, I'd love to here more amazing story about the iPad.

10. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

It's cool to see that you use the iPad as your main driver. I use mine all day for the kind of things I used to use my Macbook Pro for. I used to have an older MBP but when I got my iPad I transitioned and sold that MBP and moved over to my brand new 2011 Mac mini as my maxed out, music & design powerhouse. The iPad is now my more personal computer. I use it for school, jotting ideas, writing essays, working on music, design, artwork. It's really great.

Yes, iOS 5 will be a game changer for me. I have it running on my iPhone (I'm a dev). I haven't put it on my iPad because I use it for very important work, but as soon as its available this fall, damn. I can't wait!

11. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

That is why I think desktop+tablet+smartphone is the best combo. The tablet holds the middle ground between the two. It makes a tablet less of an excess.

12. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

I agree. When I got my iPad I had to reevaluate my setup and I ended up choosing to get rid of my MBP and go desktop + iPad + iPhone.

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

That's exactly what I did.

Desktop: runs backups for all my media every night, hosts shared media files over my network, plays Civilization V. I also use it to sync my phone and ipad. That's literally all I need it for, aside from the occasional surfing session when it's closer to me than my iPad is.

iPhone: Calls, texts, mobile internet when I'm out and about. My iPad is WiFi only, but I'm thinking more and more about adding tethering.

iPad: Everything else. I'm on this device more than any other device I own, including the Xbox 360, PS3, TV, Desktop PC, iPhone 4. My laptop was being neglected so much, I sold it. I tend to play games on my iPad rather than firing up a console. And we are cord cutters, so every bit of content we watch on our Roku boxes (Hulu+, Netflix, etc.) is all available on my iPad. I would much rather watch TV shows on that, because when I get tired, I just put it down and fall asleep. It removes the need for me to wake up again, walk upstairs, and then fall back asleep again, which is sometimes difficult for me.

iPhone 4 made my life better and decreased my reliance on PCs. iPad has done that even more. When iOS 5 comes out, I will barely need my PC at all. At this point I don't even plan on bothering upgrading to Windows 8 next year. But I may get a Mac at some point. ;)

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

lol. i like the sleeping argument. can't beat that. when the ipad gets a clapper we'll be all set.

i'll need some kind of laptop for the foreseeable future. i need the multitasking and processing power for work. but, the good news is that i can limit this to just a few minutes/hours a day. most of my time is spent with the ipad now. i am enjoying the freedom and it is entirely possible that my 2011 mbp will be the last laptop i buy :)

15. urkel, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

No offense, but this argument is outdated so making blanket statements diminishes the fact that the iPad has been a mainstream device for a while now. Any opinions regarding its abilities have either been solved through updated hardware or new software and "Tablets" are now widely accepted as "a different type of computer". So anyone left arguing this point are the same bored people arguing Mac vs PC or Air Conditioning vs Electric Fan. The topic and conclusion simply isn't relevant anymore since its a completely individual opinion.

16. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Agreed.

God forbid if you talk about how much you love your iPad or how useful it is to you. There is always someone who comes back telling you that you are trying to justify your purchase by telling people how much you like it.

If I bought an iPad and didn't use it for anything, I would have returned it. I originally bought it to use as an e reader mostly--I ended up using it for almost everything.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

To be perfectly honest, this is one of the stupidest debates. Yes it can do creation depending on what kind of content you are talking about. Saying, "look I can create a text file", is a weak defense.

18. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Agreed. It's a silly "debate." But to be fair to the OP, he/she did ask for examples of/experiences with content creation on the iPad and a couple of posters contributed some interesting comments.

I'm definitely in the iPad as "supplement" rather than "substitute" camp for my own work. I do find it interesting that musicians are among the most numerous of those who use the iPad for content creation. (On this and other threads.) Visual artists are also prominent exponents. I suspect both groups may grow as the technology improves on tablets for those tasks.

Personally, I'm stuck with much more prosaic tasks. I have found, though, that creating diagrams such as flow charts, org charts, and relatively simple project plans are done easily with the iPad. That's not to say that more detailed versions of those documents don't require more functionality than the iPad offers, but it's a great alternative for initial drafts.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I know, it just seams that people are so insecure in their purchases that they need an arsenal of responses when someone insults the creation abilities of their iPad.

20. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

You would think so, but I see these things said (iPad is a toy, iPad is only for media consumption, iPad is just a big iPhone) nearly every day on these boards, often in response to people wondering if they should get one.

No, the iPad can't do everything a desktop van do, but it can also do many things that a desktop can't. For me, it makes some types of content creation easier/more streamlined, and other types I just can't do with a traditional computer, like things that require handwriting/drawing. (Sure, I could use a wacom, but when I'm doing observations in a middle school classroom I'm much more likely to grab a paper notebook than haul out a laptop, let alone a laptop + wacom - iPad is perfect!)

----------

What? Don't be ridiculous, no one would be so... Oh... Wait...

LOL

21. iOSWriter macrumors newbie

Or even a $300 netbook.

22. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Getting tired of your trolling being ignored yet?

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Irony takes a while to set in.

24. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

The trolling is strong in this thread... Regardless here is how I use my iPad for more than just content consumption:

- All my tasks for both work and personal stuff are managed in 2Do
    - With Koder, Control Panel and iSSH I do server administration & web development for my freelance clients
    - Noteshelf HD and IThoughts HD are great for taking notes in meetings for my day job
    - I support a major client's implementation of our enterprise software via Citrix
    - I've been doing all post processing on my photos in Snapseed for photos from my iPhone, Canon S95 and Nikon D90
    - I complete and sign PDF forms (with handwriting) in Notetaker HD
    - I do all my blogging with the Wordpress app

That's all I can think of for now, I know there is more I do though.

25. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Here is more details about what I do on my iPad ;) Love to hear people are using their iPad as their main computer or more than they do on a Mac :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1167567&highlight=