iPad doesn't charge unless I replug the connector

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bravo3013, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Bravo3013 macrumors member

Bravo3013

Recently my iPad Air 2 running iOS 11 have started having minor issues with charging. Sometimes (Lets say 3 times per month) when I plug in the lightning cable to charge my iPad, the battery icon indicates it is charging and it makes the "charging sound", but it is in fact not charging. I have to disconnect and reconnect the cable to make it charge.

This is not a unbearable issue, but it is very irritating when I think my iPad is charging and when I need the battery needs to be charged even if it have been in the charger for multiple hours.

I am using official Apple Cables, and I use the same cable to charge my iPhone without anything issues. I also occasionally reboot it.

Any idea what might cause it? Could it be a warranty claim/some more severe problems under the hood? I do not want my iPad to end up as my old iPhone 5 which suddenly would not charge.

2. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I suspect a cable problem. I had the same issue. It became harder and harder to get the iPad to charge. The same cable worked ok on an iPhone. I replaced the cable and all is well.

Got to monoprice.com for cables. Good product, reasonable prices.

3. Bravo3013 thread starter macrumors member

Bravo3013

Thanks for the reply. That might be the case. I find it strange that it nevers happen with my iPhone even though I am using the same cable.

4. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Check to make sure tha noth No got. To he charging port on the iPad. It could be dust build up partially blocking the connection.

5. Bravo3013 thread starter macrumors member

Bravo3013

Just checked the Lightning ports, surprisingly there were nearly no dust inside.