iPad doesnt stay connected to itunes after I disconnect

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ckar, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Ckar, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

Ckar macrumors member

before I didnt' have this problem. Now everytime i disconnect my ipad by usb the ipad is missing from itunes, so I can't do a wifi sync. How do I fix this.

here is the problem:

connected ipad:

disonnected ipad and the ipad is gone (it is suppose to still be there after i disconnect the ipad by usb)

2. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

It isn't just the iPad, this seems to also be affecting iPhones running iOS 8. I've seen some posts in the Apple forums claiming that restarting the device causes it to reappear in iTunes for a little while; others suggest that disabling Handoff fixes the issue (again, at least for a little while). My guess is that it's a glitch that an update to iOS 8 will resolve. Unless you want to go the rebooting route and/or try disabling Handoff, you're stuck syncing by cable for now.

3. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

For what it's worth, iOS 8.0.2 seems to have fixed this issue. I had three devices running iOS 8.0.0 that weren't appearing in iTunes (iPhone, iPad mini, iPad) and after updating them to 8.0.2 they are all appearing and can be synced wirelessly.

4. Ckar thread starter macrumors member

for me it fixed it at first, now I am having the problem again.

I don't really want to always grab out the wire and connect it to my laptop and iPad every time i want to sync. wi fi syncing was much better what is wrong with apple for breaking it?

5. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I've sometimes seen this also on my iPod Touch after updating to iOS8. Glad that 8.02 might fix it.

But just a heads-up: It can also happen if your iDevice is connected to a different wifi network - even your home guest network, for example. Sometimes after a restart, the device may select a different network. Check to make sure it is on the same wifi network as your iMac.

6. Ckar thread starter macrumors member

my iPad is on the same network as my macbook pro.

7. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

I'm sad to report that my initial message was probably premature, and like you, the devices disappeared from iTunes again after syncing. I'm using an Airport Extreme (5th generation) and haven't made any changes to my router settings... in theory, with all devices being made by Apple, there should be no hardware excuse for an issue like this to occur.

8. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I just installed iOS 8.02 on my iPad Mini. It has this same issue as 8.0 on my iPod Touch. So the hopes of a quick fix with 8.02 now seem unfounded.

Looks like the folks who are suggesting that it is basically an iTunes problem may be correct.

9. Ckar thread starter macrumors member

I just installed itunes 12, still the same problem.

Now wifi sync is useless.

10. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

Are you running OS X 10.10, as well? I can confirm that iTunes 12 didn't fix the issue, but I'm still on OS X 10.9.5 (backups before upgrading to OS X 10.10 are taking a while...). I have some hope that OS X 10.10 fixes the issue, and that if it doesn't, then iOS 8.1's release on Monday will resolve it.

11. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

iOS 8.1 has brought my phone back into iTunes, and I successfully synced over wifi. I am using OS X 10.10 as well. We'll see if the devices stay in iTunes over time, but it's a promising sign.

12. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Hello, I'd like to say I'm having this problem too. I've never seen iTunes sync wirelessly, but I'm trying to now. I'm in a dorm using public wifi if that matters, but other than that all software is updated to the current iterations, this is the new rMBP 13" and I'm using a 5s.

13. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

OS X 10.10 and iTunes 12 seem to have fixed the issue. Devices are now reliably appearing in iTunes and I've synced multiple devices on multiple occasions. It isn't perfect - I had an issue where all devices disappeared and then I couldn't even sync when the device was plugged in; I had to reboot to restore wire-based and wireless syncing. It's an improvement over where we were before, though.

Your wifi setup matters. Wireless routers have a setting that isolates all clients, preventing them from "seeing" each other. It'a a security feature, but it would prevent you from syncing wirelessly. Have your devices ever shown up in iTunes while on your dorm's network, or have you ever been unable to access another computer also connected wirelessly over the network? If the answer to both is no, then it's very likely that the router is configured to isolate clients.