iPad doesn't support FN+DEL?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by karthik02, May 3, 2019.

1. karthik02 macrumors newbie

Apple support tells me that the Apple Magic Keyboard doesn't support the FN+DEL combo (which deletes the char to the right of the cursor) on the iPad (though it does on the Mac).

Does anyone know if other third party keyboard do support that? PC keyboard have 'backspace' for removing the character to the left of the cursor, and 'delete' to remove the char to the right of the cursor.

Before I buy a different keyboard, can anyone with a normal bluetooth keyboard confirm that theirs supports removing the character to the right of the cursor via the delete key?

thanks.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I would assume it'd be the same. Fn+Backspace sends the same data to the device as a dedicated delete key AFAIK.

3. karthik02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right seems weird that the Apple keyboard supports it on Mac but not iPad

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Well, yes. But iOS was never a keyboard first OS, and if it just hasn't implemented the Del functionality in the keyboard system. IDK. Do you have the extended Magic Keyboard with a dedicated delete key? Might be worth trying that out I guess. I personally only have the wired variant so can't test that.

5. karthik02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I only have the wireless one without the numeric keyboard. It's a legit ASCII code so I initially thought the keyboard was defective... but rather this is an example of "Apple knows best." It's a hassle (but not a deal breaker" to just use to use the right arrow, and then press backspace.

6. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Hmmm. Have you tried using control+d btw? On macOS it works like fn+backspace and also acts as a delete.

7. karthik02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried Ctrl+D on the iPad - there's no response, as in nothing happens. Again, this is just with the Apple Magic Keyboard. Not sure what happens on a normal keyboard, as these are standard ASCII commands.

When I press FN + Delete, rather than delete the char to the right, it deletes the char to the left (similar to pressing 'backspace' on a normal keyboard).