iPad Download Move

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TallManNY, Mar 4, 2011.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Does anyone else do this move with the iPad? You pull up your newspaper app in the morning while at home (e.g., NY Times, The Daily, WSJ, etc.) It starts downloading, then you slip your iPad into your bag. Since the iPad doesn't know that the cover is closed, it keeps downloading away. By the time I'm out the door and headed for the subway, I've got the whole paper downloaded. It can even switch downloading from my wifi to 3G as I walk away from the house.

Seems that iPad 2 and magnet covers will prevent this unless there is a way to turn off the magnet trigger or you buy a cover without a magnet.

Just wondering if anyone else does something similar on a regular basis.

By the way, don't you wish that some of the newspaper apps could be set to push the paper to your off iPad in the morning?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm not sure we can assume that the sleep mode will prevent the downloads from completing?

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I thought Apple's multitasking allowed for uploading/downloading in the background. That should continue while asleep, much like how I can start sending a big email, hit the sleep button and it will finish that task. You'll want to doublecheck that newspaper's feature set, but it should technically work.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Okay, I deleted The Daily a while back as the content wasn't interesting to me, and I have no newspaper subs, but I do use The Economist which downloads the latest issue.

On my ipad1, I opened the app, clicked on Download for the new issue that came out last night, hit the top power/sleep button and walked away for a little while.

When I came back and turned on my ipad, it had completed downloading and was there.

Based on this, I suspect the Smart Cover will not present an issue if the app uses the API allowing for downloads to complete.

5. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Good points. I didn't realize that the newspapers download in the background.