iPad drawing pad! DIY project

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JP913, Nov 11, 2018.

1. JP913, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018

JP913 macrumors regular

JP913

I love the iPad Pro. As an artist, it’s exactly what I’d been looking for.

My only issue is that I found it frustrating that my wrist/palm was constantly resting halfway on the iPad and whatever surface I had it sitting on. It felt uncomfortable.

That’s usually not an issue if you’re just drawing on a piece of paper, since it’s not a quarter of an inch thick! I also don’t have that issue when I use my Wacom Cintiq 22HD, since the screen is plenty big (no chance of hanging my hand off the side of it!)

I bought a wooden lap desk for my iPP, which works pretty great. The problem is, it’s big and heavy and I can’t throw it in my back pack to travel with. I needed a different solution, but there wasn’t one to be found. So I made my own.

I bought this Yoga pad from Amazon -

YogaAccessories 1/4" Thick High-Density
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PUFEYM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jYd6BbWXPGEVV

It’s the right thickness and density (I didn’t want something my hand would sink in to) - also, there’s enough material to make it two-ply, that way the iPad can sit flush with my wrist.

I measured out the size I wanted, cut it out, and taped it together (I have a roll of expensive double sided tape that’s used to install signs and wraps, but I assume most double sided tape or glue would work just fine, too.)

I originally made this for my 1st gen iPP. I made some minor tweaks to the left hand side of the pad to accommodate for the new iPP.

94D7C0D2-BEA4-4F96-B89B-EAE12A74D3BF.jpeg

C8B89EAD-641C-4710-83FA-A2BF0188EFB2.jpeg
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2018 ---
    AND if you're wondering, YES. The Apple Pencil DOES 'snap' to the iPad and charge WITH the grip on it! I was amazed!

2. laurenr macrumors 6502a

laurenr

Fabulous idea! I wonder if I could use it, but instead with a rubber gardening mat sized for knees? Might be just the right size if I can find a small one. Avoids the hassle of trimming as I am fairly useless with tools.
    By the way, if you did the drawing on the iPad screen, I totally love it.

3. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

What a great idea. I don’t always have a problem with the iPad, but there are definitely times when I’d like a bit more wrist space. I think I may just order a yoga pad.

Well, I could pinch the wife’s but I don’t know how well that would go down :p

4. Nanotyrns macrumors 65816

Nanotyrns

This is amazing. I love it.
    I also love how you're using the pencil grip. Considering it myself just waiting to see how useful double-tap is to me.

5. JP913 thread starter macrumors regular

JP913

I did! Thank you!