Ipad dropped 10 or more feet

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Spellman Jones, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Spellman Jones macrumors newbie

I did a dumb thing on the way to my dentist .

I had a handful of things and put my ipad on the roof of my truck as I retrieved my keys from my pocket.

I got distracted and eventually drove off with the ipad on the roof.

The ipad was in an Apple case.

I was driving 35 or more miles an hour. It is a windy day.

Anyway, about a 1/2 mile from the house, I heard a loud rumble on the roof. I slowed, but not quick enough. I saw the black case flapping in my rear mirror. I guess it was 8 - 12 feet in the air. I saw it hit the pavement and flop to the side of the road.

The case is torn on 3 sides. The aluminum ipad is gouged on two ends. The glass is nearly seated correct, but you press it in on one side.

It turns on and seems to work, so I guess I should be happy.

Frankly, I just wish I had left it at home today.

2. netdoc66 macrumors regular

netdoc66

That's no iPad it's a FlyPad. Sorry for your luck budday.

3. Hawke macrumors regular

ouch! sorry to hear about that, I know it sounds silly, but funny enough, I can see something like that happening to me :(

4. linux2mac macrumors 65816

linux2mac

5. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

The exact same thing happened to me with my day-old, spec'ed out, first-gen Macbook Air. I put it on the roof of my car to open the door, but got distracted when my girlfriend called and told me she had gotten into a car accident. I drove off with it on the top of my car, and it fell off into the middle of the road.

I didn't realize until about 15 minutes later, when I retraced my drive and found it. It had been run over about 5 times. Surprisingly, it was still functional, if a little dented. I managed to sell it as-is on eBay for about $1,000, believe it or not.

So, I feel your pain, buddy.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I would say "cool story bro" but then I remember that I did the same thing with my iPod a few years back. Sorry to hear man...

7. Donny Jepp macrumors member

Oh god. This reminds me of when I put my iPhone 4 in a bumper on top of y car, talked to some friends, and forgot it was there and drove off. Thank god the bumper has grip because when I got to my destination and got out of the car, I saw it still on top of my car. I went on the highway too.

8. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

after that story, u HAVE to post some pics!

sorry for your luck.

9. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

10. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

dude that is hilarious! i really did LOL haha

11. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

There have been so many times when I have left drinks on top of my car and realized when I hear a thud of them going down.

I remember a few times where some friends and I would put big cups on top of our cars with strong magnets inside of them. The looks you get while in the city are great!

12. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

"i was taking a dump and i dropped it and it broke"
    * tons of detailed pics *

"I DROVE OFF AND IT FLEW 12 FEET INTO THE AIR AND FLEW LIKE A BIRD MAN, IT WAS WILD"
    * no pics *

:(

13. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Ouch. That really sucks. I am surprised that it still works though.

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't refrain myself.

But doing something stupid and then posting it on the internet is just priceless ;)

15. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Pics or it never happened, and just another story somebody made up for conversation.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So what.

17. Orange™ macrumors 6502

What a pathetically sad comment, I feel worse for you than the OP, this is just a website to discuss itoys and Apple products. If you want that mentality, perhaps you should venture back to ForChan, no shortage of "Pics or it never happened" threads there. :apple:

18. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Write a nice letter to Apple telling them how you tested your iPad for durability. Tell them how sturdy it is and show them photos. Then tell them you will trade it to them to use in advertisements if they give you a new iPad.

I feel for you, I lost a camera that way once.

19. Jayrcee macrumors regular

Jayrcee

20. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Agree with previous posters- this is the most useless kind of comment. Grow up.

To the OP- Did you end up going to the dentist? This type of "incident" would have ruined my day and probably my week. I would have gone to bed...after a bottle of tequila.

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

so much for the quality/protection of that $50 apple case. Take it to an apple store tell them it fell off a table and that the case really did not protect it.....after then stop laughing...see what happens :)o)