iPad dropped on tile and the glass shattered

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bobright, Apr 7, 2013.

1. bobright macrumors 601

It is a shame our iPad was dropped in our kitchen area on tile and it is now shattered pretty bad. If you're wondering what it was doing in the kitchen, I was reading a recipe on it and usually have a case but this was one of the rare times I had it off :eek::(

I have read people had success with taking them to Apple explaining the situation and getting a discount on a new one. I'm not expecting anything, but is that worth a shot? Is that only if you're under warranty?

It's no longer under warranty as its a 3rd gen so I'm probably out of luck.

2. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

the best thing i think you can do is to go into Apple and just be honest with them. tell them you dropped it by accident and you would like to know what the process is of getting it repaired. they will inform you that it not repairable. if you get a nice rep, they might offer you to purchase a brown box replacement/refurb which is an even more discounted version than the regular refurb. it's essentially a non-retail boxed replacement that is either brand new or refurbished (it's hit or miss, but it doesn't matter since apple refurbs are essentially brand new).

when my iPad 2 16GB wifi refurb model had to be replaced under warranty, due to an issue with the screen i guess they didn't realize i was under warranty and also had applecare+ to boot. they said a brown box replacement would be ~ $229 (i forget the exact number). once they saw i was under warranty i obviously got the replacement for free. for price comparison, a refurb from Apple.com of that model is $319. so that's the kind of discount you should get on a brown box.

as stated, just go in there casually, play dumb, and act nice and cordial towards the Genius rep. act very disappointed that the accident occurred, you can even make up a sob story and tell them that it's actually your wife's and you broke it and now she's pissed and you feel really bad and want to get it repaired as soon as possible etc.

9 times out of 10, they cut you a break and let you buy the brown box replacement

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Alas, accidents happen and it's always a bummer.

When you get your replacement, look into buying a policy with Worth Avenue Group - which covers not only accidents, but immersion in water, theft, etc.

http://www.worthavegroup.com/ipad

Hopefully you'll never have to use it. But it will be well worth the cost in case you do need it.

4. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

Without even reading the OP, I bet I can guess the answer.

No, you cannot get a free iPad. No, you will not get a discount unless it qualifies for an OOW replacement.

And yes, get AppleCare+ for your new one, or an equivalent insurance policy.

And you're welcome.

5. godux1963 macrumors newbie

It can be fixed.

If you can operate a screwdriver, you can fix it for about $100 in parts.

I have used DirectFix.com and had success with them, but I think there are lots of parts dealers on the internet.

Also, there are lots of YouTube videos with instructions on how to fix it.

6. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hi Bobright - sorry about the accident and I hope that Apple will 'strike a deal' w/ you - others have already responded about this option.

BUT, in the future for use in the kitchen, you might want a better option to protect the iPad - I use a recipe program called Paprika which is excellent - my iPad is secured to a plastic stand that hangs from underneath the cabinets (and away from the prep/cooking area) - that stand is removable (pic attached) - please let me know if you want further information - good luck w/ your iPad replacement quest! :)

Attached Files:

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Accidental damage is treated as an OOW so yes you would get a 'discount' since you aren't buying retail. Which sounds like it would be fine with the OP who never suggested he thought they would just give him a new one since he dropped it.