Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
No, it's not the old problem. :) I did a search and didn't find anything.

iPad running stock 4.2.1.

I connect to my AP at home and stay connected. No problems.

At work, we have a wireless network that has access to the Internet only, not our internal network. We control access to this wireless network using Cisco 'hoteling' software which requires you to authenticate via a browser. No other security, e.g., WEP, WPA, etc. This connection is used mainly by guests, contractors, etc.

When my iPad display powers down, soon thereafter, I lose connection to this wireless network. The odd things are;

1. Some times there's still the wireless 'icon' in the upper left hand corner.
2. Settings---WiFi still indicates I am connected to the wireless network.

But no application can get to the Internet. I have to go into Settings, turn WiFi off and on again to trigger the Authentication process. Why?

I did check with the people who manage the Cisco software and they drop any connection that's been inactive for more than 2 hours, but the problem I am seeing seems connected to the display going to sleep.

Steven Jobson

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
That means you have local access to the router. The presence of the WiFi icon doesn't always means you have Internet access. In this mode, you can change the settings of the router provided you have administrative access. Go to the WiFi's SSID and touch the blue arrow. Do you see 192.168.x.x? Or something else when you can't connect to the Internet?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I don't have access to the Cisco AP, so I will have to ask the people who do.

Steven Jobson

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
I don't have access to the Cisco AP, so I will have to ask the people who do.

Just look in the blue arrow part of the WiFi you're connected to. Look at the subnet and IPs. Tell me what they are.

Note: these are not private numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.