iPad DSLR Slate App + Canon 7D

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AWalkerStudios, Jun 29, 2010.

1. AWalkerStudios macrumors member

AWalkerStudios

iPad app vimeo video link

I was the Director of Photography and editor for a short film shot over this past weekend where I got to use my iPad and the DSLR Slate app. It made for a very interesting experience and a great cost saving tool.

2. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That looks like a very neat app, although I'd be a little worried about the overall durability of the somewhat fragile iPad in a production environment. I see camera assistants drop expensive smart slates on the ground and on hard concrete floors all too often.

Another concern I have (as evidenced by the video) is that the marker activation looks to be a bit cumbersome with such a small touch button.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

5. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

But what if you want an end board? :eek:

how do you hold an ipad upside down! :D

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Seems ridiculous, yes, BUT - a smart slate (one that jam-syncs timecode to a field recorder and/or camera) typically cost a lot more than that; around $1,500 for a good Denecke Dcode slate. But even so, considering that this slate/clapper app presumably wouldn't jam-sync with a 7D or field recorder, yes, it is an expensive electronic clapper.

If you're talking about doing a tail slate at the end of a take, one would imagine that the app has some way of disabling the iPad's accelerometer for that purpose. But that would be something to ask the OP.

7. Trouser Cough macrumors member

Trouser Cough

Crowded Busses, Cramped Elevators, Taco Bell
    Orientation Lock.

8. AWalkerStudios thread starter macrumors member

AWalkerStudios

Actually the App is locked into one orientation no matter what. No need to use orientation lock for tail slates.

9. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

"Really, a $500 clapper?"

Wow! Talk about missing the point!

Thanks to the OP from bringing it up...we've been using it for a couple weeks with the 5d2 and 7d for syncing second system (and third system;) in some cases) sound in our production.

The iPad does a few more things than "Clap!" We use it for our dailies, still sharing, resource for web stuff...as well as several entertainment apps. Script writing, notes, contacts for contractors, scheduling, and we've even put a Korg synthesizer on it for some SFX. We've also had some fun with field edits of some photography for use on the story board.

Much more than a "Clapper"...and at $500 (which is a bit low, most models are a hundred or three more:))...they're a bargain on set, IMHO. Of course, as always, YMMV.

It's a killer app...and I wouldn't put Jam-syncing time code out of the realm of possibility of development. With the camera connection kit, hopefully a developer much smarter than myself will come up with a cool way to sync from field recorders, cameras, or all of them down the USB pipe, OR, BlueTooth would be cool if there was some sort of Time code base station for all the components in the chain. Here's to hopin! I've found the iPhone, and in the last couple of months...and to a MUCH greater extent, the iPad invaluable on set. As someone else mentioned, they are fragile...so a decent case and sure hands are essential. I use my MBP much less these days, and the form factor allowing for things like a workable slate for sync work in post is invaluable.

J