iPad Dual Login (Multiple User Login)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scooterman1, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

How many people would like to see a Dual Login ability on the iPad?
    I would like for my wife, and I, to both be able to use an iPad that would allow multiple users like a Desktop, or Notebook. This would allow us to be able to keep the Springboard pages separate, and our email separate.
    Wouldn't this be a great feature? And they could do this depending on what unlock code you use.
    And where would I go to make this suggestion to Apple?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Scooterman1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Thanks for the link. I made the suggestion..... Who knows.

I see what users on this Forum mean by the statements that 'Steve Jobs' knows whats best for us, and that we should not think. Well, something to that effect. I just thought people were being smart, rather than realistically sarcastic.

4. racer1441 macrumors 68000

He does know what's best for us.

5. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I like the idea of multiple logins. Apple is promoting the ipad as a device that you place in the kitchen or living room and all the members of your family will use. Since that is the market it's going for, it seems logical it would incorporate a multiple login feature so say a husband could pick it up and check his email and have all his own bookmarks for webpages, and then his wife could use it with her email and bookmarks, and the kids could to. Mac OS X already has this feature, so it seems like it would be simple for Apple to incorporate it into the ipad if it wanted to.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

LOL! Stevie knows all about how to get money from your pocket. That's it. Job #1 for a CEO.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple would prefer the husband, wife and kids to each buy an iPad of their own.

8. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

What makes you think these things have nothing to do with each other?

9. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Steve knows how to make a very profitable company with quality products.

As a consumer, that is a value to me.

As a stock holder, that's a even better value to me.

Compare that to the folks who love to say what Apple is doing wrong, while working away at their minimum wage jobs year after year after year.

10. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

11. Scooterman1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I wonder if Cydia has anything like this for the iPhone. If it does, then that would open the possibllities for the iPad..... even if Apple don't adopt it.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Dear Scooterman1:

Buy 2.

Best,
    Steve Jobs

13. Scooterman1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

You did get a laugh out of me. That IS funny, and that's probably their strategy.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't worry, they were also being realistically sarcastic.
    Apple does accept feedback, which is counter-intuitive in some cases to their suggestion policy.

15. Scooterman1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I did submit my suggestion via their Feedback system.

The way that I read their Suggestion Policy, is that if someone submits a great idea, and they use it, they don't want the person that suggested it to be able to claim any kind of compensation. That policy is consistent with their Greed Policy. LOL. I don't want compensation, I just want something that works better for me, and, hopefully, others.

16. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

This is going to be worse than finding the remote control for the cable box. Still I'd like multiple users supported, and maybe even a guest mode.

17. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I thought Apple was promoting the idea of an iPad as a "central" device that all family members could go to??? May this wasn't coming from Apple's mouth, but a lot of rumors were pointing in this direction.

May we will see multi-user login in subsequent iterations of the OS.

18. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Or eventually, whose finger you use to swipe.

19. bozzykid macrumors 68020

More likely it will be using the front facing camera to determine the user (when the camera is eventually added). There is already a lot of systems that support face recognition for identification

20. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Well in lieu of multiple users, I wish there was a way you could quickly change Google users in Safari. My wife uses Gmail via the web and I use other Google apps (Reader and News). When we travel it would be nice if we could share the iPad and have an easy way to switch back and forth Google logins without having to click on sign out, then sign in and then enter Google email address and password. Surely someone could develop an app that would do this.

21. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Nice generalization. You are exactly what is wrong with our country.

22. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Do you really think that no one at Apple has ever thought of this?

Almost any idea you, or anyone else has come up with has probably already been considered.

23. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

^ Yeah, to an extent I agree with Chris, above.

When I'm desperate for Apple to implement a certain feature, I often think to myself whether an Apple engineer, designer, or general employee could have also come across a need for the feature. Like you, I want multi-user support, but I came to the conclusion that someone at Apple has most certainly already emailed Steve Jobs themselves. I'd even go as far as to believe they're probably working on an implementation for this feature into OS 4.0, along with a few of the other popular functions people are asking for on the iPad. Hopefully we'll find out at WWDC in June(ish).

24. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

That would be a tremendous feature to have in the iPad. I would love to see that on the device. However, I just don't see Apple going for it. Apple doesn't want a whole family to share a single iPad. I wouldn't mind sharing it in my house (well I say that now ;)).

25. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't know about "more likely" but Apple does have a patent for both fingerprint and retinal (not facial) recognition.

[​IMG]