iPad dust under screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Shelford, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Shelford macrumors newbie

I have the new iPad and have only had it since may and I've noticed there is dust/spots under the screen.

If I was to take it back to the apple store is this something they would cover under warranty? Is this something other people have noticed or this one of these things that happens to only a few people?

Thanks for any help.

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It never hurts to try.

If you're pleasant & honest, Apples usually quite helpful. They deal with difficult customers all day long. Being nice will go a long way & be appreciated.

I've had six iPads so far & dust has not been an issue. Yet that is only my experience.

3. DashSatan macrumors 6502

It is under warranty. I had a 16gig iPad 3 release day, there was a small speck of dust under the screen and they exchanged it like that for me. *snaps fingers* it even was engraved and I bumped up to the 32gig. You shouldn't have any problem

4. jefbond macrumors member

Agreed with Dash. As long as there's no signs of physical or liquid damage, Apple is usually pretty good about covering issues like this under warranty as long as it's more than just one minor speck of dust.

5. Shelford thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

There seems to be a black spot which I think may be a dead pixel and there is dust under the screen next to it.

I'll take it in to the apple store when I'm back in London next week. Hopefully they can sort me out, it's just really annoying when I'm reading something on my iPad!

6. Shelford thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I need to make an appointment with a genius at the apple store or can I just walk in and talk to someone?

7. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

You'll need to make a Genius appointment since you bought the iPad in May.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

You'll get it replaced no question but you'll probably get a refurb. ;)

9. Shelford thread starter macrumors newbie

I brought it in June. So it's almost been three months since I've had it. That should hopefully not be too long. I'll take it in and see what happens.

----------

Is that a bad thing to get a refurb?

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

Nah refurbs have a higher level of QA and you get a new battery and new cover. I bought a refurbed iPad 2 from Apple and it looks and works like new. :)

11. Psycho Mantis macrumors member

Are you sure it isn't a dead pixel? I have the same thing. Bring it in OP and let them know.

12. Shelford thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea now that I've had a look around online I think it is actually a dead pixel but there also seems to be some specs of dust under the screen. I'll take it in next week and get them to have a look at it. :)

13. illusion787 macrumors newbie

Sorry about your luck:(
    I have not heard of that happening before...

14. stuaz macrumors 6502

Don't assume you will get a refurb. My mum had a new iPad that was getting very hot and had light bleed at the top. She made an appointment, took it in and they swapped it for a brand new one (Not a refurb) straight there and then, no questions' asked.

This was the UK but I believe the US has better customer care. Apple treat these things as a case by case really and I think it all depends on the problem and who the genius is tbh.

15. kannesss macrumors 6502a

they might replace it. post a pic of it if you can. that sounds crazy for that to happen

16. Shelford thread starter macrumors newbie

I've come to the conclusion that it is most likely a dead pixel which, from reading things online, seems to happen to some people.

It is only just one black dot on the screen but it's right in the middle and so I see it all the time, if it wasn't as noticeable I don't think I'd bother about taking it in but i paid a lot of money for my ipad, as everyone does, so I expect it to be dot/dust free!

17. Shelford thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it into the apple store today and they replaced within 5mins. It was a refurbished one but that doesn't bother me.

The lady who served me said she wasn't sure what it was, it seemed like something under the screen, she said it didn't look like a dead pixel.