iPad DVD player

Discussion in 'iPad' started by supermac96, May 30, 2011.

1. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

someone really needs to make a dvd player that connects to the ipad charging port thing and an app that goes with it so you can watch dvds on your ipad. or is there something like this already?

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

something like this would never work. the iPad would not be able to produce enough power for the DVD drive. even if the iPad could produce the power the battery would be drained before the DVD was done...

3. Siggen macrumors 6502

Wrong, or right, but think, a thick (scratch)protective case with battery and a dvd (or blu-ray) drive. It could even extend the battery life of the iPad.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Plus the point of the iPad is being portable, dragging a DVD player around with you is the complete opposite. Use handbrake and rip the DVD for your iPad.

5. Rdclark macrumors newbie

You have to connect your iPad to your computer every now and then anyway, so you might as well use the computer to rip and sync your DVDs. So an "iPad DVD player" is something there's no reason to pay money for.

6. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

At some point you have to leave old tech behind. DVD's have no place being attached to an iPad. It's just not where the technology is heading. We have here a wifi, mobile device, designed to be thin, light, and portable. Having dvd drives simply defeats the object.

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've got the Asus Iconia Tab. It has a full sized USB port on the side.
    I've got a portable USB DVD drive.
    I downloaded VLC media player for android. It plays VOB (DVD video) files.
    VLC plays DVDs off the DVD drive plugged into the Acer.

There ya go!

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Why in the world would I want to lug around a DVD drive and DVD's, when a bunch of DVD's (even those ripped in mkv or avi file formats) can be played right on the iPad with AVPlayerHD? And then deleted after you watch them, right on the iPad without the need to sync, in order to free up space for other things.

Yeah, let me go from lugging around one thing, weigh just 1.3 pounds, to lugging around 20 dvd's, a DVD player and the iPad. That's what we in the south call 'muy estupido'.

Additionally, do you really need to extend the battery life of the iPad? I guess if you are on a 16 hour flight to Australia, maybe, or you could just buy the inflight adapter and charge all your Mac products while you fly. Same for long car trips.

9. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It's not about you. It's about the O.P.

10. MuggleReviewer macrumors member

MuggleReviewer

Both ways

I agree with previous posters that there is no need for a DVD player to attach to the iPad.

However, while at my house I would greatly appreciate being able to AirPlay a dvd from my Mac to my iPad (or apple tv for that matter). There are just too many movies/tv shows that I have alredy purchased or are not available on iTunes that I would love to be able to use my iPad to watch in bed, kitchen etc. And I know I can rip them but that is just not practical for all of my DVDs. I have ripped some of my favorites for various trips but I do not have the time to rip them all (especially since so many new and/or foreign films are not available on iTunes so the collection continues to grow

Either sell all movies/tv shows from every country (even at a premium for international titles) or support AirPlay DVD drive from Mac to iPad / apple tv!!!

11. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

but movies take up quite a lot of space and take a while to sync but using handbrake then syncing is a good idea thanks

12. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

this might be the dumbest idea I've ever heard

while we're at it why don't we add a tape deck too

13. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

http://www.inmethod.com/

14. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

i know of these programs but i would most likely be watching dvds if i sont have wifi and its not dumb because then i wouldnt have ot worry about the space it would take up on the ipad and everytime i wanted to put a dvd on my ipad i wouldnt have to put it through handbrake, have it saved on the computer, then take the time to sync the big file. you can't compare dvds to tapedacks.

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I generally don't make fun of someone for their computer needs... Everyone has unique needs... But a DVD player on an iPad? Really? That's a big 'missing the point here.' Adding a DVD drive, extra battery, cables, etc., would be more hassle than an all-in-one laptop.

Copy the movies on to iTunes and your iPad with something like Handbrake or buy them off iTunes. If you really want a DVD player, you should schlep around a full-on laptop.

16. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Rip DVD to iPad compatible formats, problem solved...

I'm a fricken genius :p

Whatever you want you're either using up physical or digital space, IMO digital is better than lugging around another device + media ;)

17. Built macrumors 68020

Amen.

Why would anybody need to drag around the last century's technology with them when it's so easy to put it all on the iPad itself?

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

It would be nice if you could stream DVD's directly from your computer to your iDevice. Currently, this requires a time consuming conversion first.

Although once converted AirVideo does a stellar job.

19. Built macrumors 68020

I'm sure we can also score an old 8-track player from one of the guys on "Storage Wars." :D

Seriously, it takes very little effort to convert DVDs if you're willing to multi-task. I converted my entire DVD collection (well over 1000 titles) over the course of a month whille working from home. Anybody can do it in a few hours of spare time each night and make some quick progress.

20. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

This. This! THIS!!

Wanting a DVD player is definitely missing the point of the iPad. Even if you did add the case w/ battery, drive, etc you mentioned in the first post, you now have a laptop anyway... And if you just want to watch DVDs go buy a portable DVD player, they cost like 80% less than an iPad.

21. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

22. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I actually don't think it's a horrible idea. If a case was made with a slim slot-loading dvd drive and battery, it wouldn't be overly bulky. Not too bad for someone with a lot of DVD's, cause ripping takes a long time.

23. poloponies macrumors 68030

Storage is so cheap these days that suing DVDs does seem prehistoric. I spent a while ripping and converting my old DVDs when I first bought an Apple TV. I picked up a 3TB external drive last year for all my new purchases. Every new DVD I buy is immediately ripped to the drive which is connected to a media player, so I have immediate access to about 100 DVDs in unconverted form and about 300-400 in Apple TV (/iPad) format. Any time I want to take the newer ones with me I queue them up for conversion overnight and they're ready when I wake up. The thought of carrying discs and a DVD player with me seems silly (and I also own a portable DVD player which has had zero use since I got an iPad last year).

24. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The iPad is a screen. Movies are a stationary activity (usually). I see no unreasableness in the desire to hook up a portable DVD drive to the iPad when it is stationary and all you want to do is watch a move off it. Hell, they make portable DVD players with iPod Touch docks on them that can also play movies off the touch. A big screen for the content. All the OP is asking for is another source for content on her big iPad screen. Despite the "ease" of ripping a DVD into a format that can then be copied onto the iPad, both of those operations take time. If you have the DVD already, and don't plan on being on the move, then there is no reason not to wish you could plug in a portable drive, or plant the iPad in a DVD player dock to watch the DVD on the iPad's screen. Better yet make it work with BlueRay disks. The reason is that then you haven't needed to boot up a PC, waited up to an hour for the disk rip (if you could), then another 5 minutes to copy the file from itunes onto the iPad. Remember, you had the DVD already.

25. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

If you have the DVD and aren't on the move, aren't you also likely to have an actual television or monitor and a DVD player handy?