iPad ebook feature

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xyanide14, Oct 3, 2010.

1. xyanide14 macrumors newbie

When it comes to ebooks, do you think the ipad has a better feature than the amazon kindle?

2. o.neill.kid macrumors member

I think it depends on the individual. I love the iPad for reading books (some people don't because of the strain) but it sucks in the day light and then you have the problem of the battery. The Kindle has an amazing screen for reading, it doesn't hurt, no problem in the sun, and the battery lasts forever.

If I had the money I would get both.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If all you want is a eReader, get the Kindel, can't beat it.

If you want an ereader, plus Email, Web browser, apps, games, etc. etc... iPad all the way. it is a perfectly good ereader (I actually use the Kindel app on it) and i got not complains, actually battery life isn;t even an issue for me either, I don't really read for long long periods of times, but i got to say that after getting my ipad I had read more books in just a few months than in the past 5 years or so. (also buying lot of magazines and stuff).

4. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I do. You get color, a variable brightness screen, beautiful fonts, the most book-like method of turning pages, truly quality workmanship that makes it feel like a book.

That said, some people think the Kindle's screen is easier on their eyes. For me it's the opposite -- Kindle hurts my eyes, iPad is restful on my eyes. So clearly your mileage may vary. I strongly suggest you go into a store and look at the iPad screen for yourself before you decide. Only your eyes can decide.

But I've read 50+ novels on my iPad so far since April, and I couldn't imagine using anything else. I love the reading experience on it.

5. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

Kindle is lighter, so when reading in bed at night i dont end up with a concussion when i fall asleep like i do with the ipad!

= kindle wins for me :p

6. philipk macrumors 6502

I have a cousin who lives in Singapore. His wife is a VP for a US company whose territory is Asia and Australia. The job offer was so tempting that he retired early to go with her.

He makes many 19 hour trips from Singapore to New Jersey (direct flight). He also does recreational travel by himself in Asia. He uses a Canon DSLR and MacBook Pro to post good travel log blogs. His most recent trip was to Vietnam.

Last weekend I saw him at a family wedding. Most of us where staying in the same hotel and spent time in a hospitality room.

He saw me reading my iPad and I saw him reading his Kindle. We talked about the e-book choices.

He is going to buy an iPad for the other uses but not for e-books. The Kindle works better for him for the following reasons.

1. Easier to read screen.
    2. Long battery like.
    3. Much larger library of books available for purchase.

The only thing he misses that the iPad has is the way you turn the page.

I trust the hard core reader's judgment.

For me, I don't read as much or travel as much as he does, so the iPad only works well for me.

Otherwise, give me both.

7. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Haha, true, no concussions with Kindle.

Reading at night reminds me of one big advantage for the iPad: Kindle users love to talk about how much better it is for reading outdoors. And it is. But where do you do most of your reading? Right, indoors.

And if you read in bed at night, you'll love the iPad. You don't need to keep the lights on as with the Kindle.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Number 3 is a bit inaccurate, in the iPad you got access to the same books as in the kindel using the kindel app, you also can access, Nook books, iBooks, and bunch on independent publishers.

9. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Phillip brings up a good point. Although I'm more of a hard core reader than his cousin, and I think the iPad's screen is easier to read, the fact is that the Kindle has been priced so low you might as well buy both. Use the iPad for indoor use, and if you want to read outdoors you have a Kindle to throw into your beach bag.

Now for 19-hour flights nothing beats the iPad. Read for a while. Watch a movie, check your email, play a game, close your eyes and listen to music. The iPad is a computer that does it all. I wouldn't travel with anything else.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Very true, but you would need an external battery pack or two to ensure you didn't run out of battery.

Personally, I can't stand the e-ink screen, but I can see how a Kindle might be a nice supplement device to have for flights over 10+ hours. With prices being lowered, it might be worth bringing a Kindle instead of the extra battery pack.

11. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Ah, I didn't think of that about battery life, which is a good point to make. I used my iPad on a 7-hour flight without any issue at all, watching movies, playing games, music and books, with battery life to spare. I had an external battery booster ready to go, but never used it. Or I could have plugged my iPad into the electrical outlet at my seat, but didn't.

And certainly on a 19-hour flight you are going to spend at least 10 of those hours doing something else: takeoff (no electronic devices, please), landing approach (same deal), eating meals, sleeping. That leaves, at most, 9 hours of steady iPad use. And you know what? My iPad lasts over 10 hours of continuous use after 6 months of service. So I think I could even handle a 19-hour flight.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

True enough, unless you sleep a little less... :p

9 hours of steady use feels like cutting it a bit close for comfort, but I do think it's amazing how the only time iPad's battery life becomes an issue is on very long international flights. It may not be as sexy as more RAM or faster processor, but it's the real powerhouse feature of the iPad, IMO.

13. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

IPad allows you to read books from B&N, Borders, Amazon, Apple, and Baen books (using stanza).

Although I usually check Amazon first, I buy ebooks from where ever they are available.

Kindle would either require me to do a manual conversion of ebooks I already own or pay to "email" them to the Kindle reader.

14. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

If you are reading novels - I think the Kindle is pretty good. And the price is good too.

If you want to read text-books, or larger format documents, then the page-turn speed and size of the iPad is better.

C.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you are only planning on using the device as an e-reader and if you need to read a lot in sunlight, go with the Kindle. You can't beat the $139 WiFi model. You can buy books through Amazon and use them on your computer, iPhone and Kindle. That's why I jumped on the Kindle books bandwagon before the iPad was released. I didn't think Apple would get into the bookstore business, but I was wrong. Still, Kindle has a better selection and still runs on the iPad.

If you're looking to do more with the device and don't need to worry about outdoor reading, go with the iPad. But I'd still recommend comparing samples between the iBooks and Kindle stores before choosing where you get your books there. I really really like the Kindle store.

16. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I'm considering getting a Kindle to complement my iPad once I'm done with my dissertation and can read "normal" books again. Really, you can't argue with 139 bucks - if you're really into reading, just get both an iPad and a Kindle.