iPad Eligible for Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lightey, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Lightey macrumors regular

I bought an iPad 2 on AT&T on launch day. I've used the service ever since and now the line my iPad is on is eligible for an upgrade. I've checked, and that line can get the iPhone 4S fully subsidized. Does this mean when the next iPhone comes out, I can do an upgrade swap between the iPad line and another line on the account?

2. ejisfun macrumors regular

Wait, iPads aren't subject to upgrade restrictions, are they? I thought that was only for phones because the carrier pays a portion of the phone cost. I didn't think that AT&T payed any part of the cost when you buy an 3G iPad...I may very well be wrong though.

3. racer1441 macrumors 68000

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

There is no "upgrade eligibility" for the iPad. AT&T or any carrier is not paying any portion of the iPad price, you are paying full retail. You do not sign a contract with them, it is a month to month basis. Therefore there is no "upgrade" for the iPad. You can choose to buy another one if you want, but there is no swapping an upgrade because it does not exist.

5. Lightey thread starter macrumors regular

Not true, on my At&T account, it says that my iPad is eligable for an upgrade. T

6. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

It might always say that, it likely never says that no upgrade is available.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You can call AT&T but I'm sure you won't get anywhere. Though it would be a great loophole to upgrade to the next iPhone, I seriously doubt its possible. Probably more of a glitch on the system.

8. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Got the 1st iPad 3G at launch and our number says that too...only other thing is. That number is not on a contract, it's a pay by the month data plan we still have the 'unlimited iPad plan' you can turn it on and off whenever you feel like it from the iPad.
    You may be able to upgrade to a different data plan or something but they are not going to give you a half price iPad 3.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Huh?

How do you see your ipad on your ATT account?

Something makes no sense here.

10. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Data... :eek:

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Your iPad was eligible for "upgrade" the day you bought it. As you get no price break on an iPad, you do not buy it under any contract. You can add or cancel the data plan at and time. This is merely laziness on AT&T's site that doesn't distinguish between iDevice types.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You can certainly upgrade it. You won't, however, get a subsidy if that's what you mean by upgrade. Click on the link and see for yourself.