IPad email struggle = frustration.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Spute, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Spute macrumors newbie

I have an Ipad 1 and my wife has an Ipad 2. We both have the same problems:

We will delete some, if not all the emails on the Ipad. We will then go to the trash in the email account and delete all the messages there too. When deleting, we'll do 10 or 15 at a time and when doing so, the Ipad goes blank and back to the home screen. Then I will go back in to my email and all of the deleted emails are back again.

Also- while in the middle of typing an email, the screen goes blank and goes back to the home screen deleting everything I have typed.

Both of these are very frustrating and make us both not want to use the email on our Ipads. Any ideas what this is about and how to fix it?

2. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

It sounds like the Mail app is crashing. Have you tried doing a soft reset by pressing and holding the home + lock button?

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Not sure if the issues are related.

Is the crashing happening on both iPads?

As far as the "un deleting" goes, which email service are you using? Do you have it set up via Exchange?

For years I've been using gmail with my iPhone and iPad. I recently deleted them as "gmail" accounts and set them up as Exchange. I would get emails I had deleted from two to three days ago showing up as new.

I deleted them both and set them back up as gmail and the problem is solved.

4. Spute thread starter macrumors newbie

We have both tried this may times.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Do you have any apps that run in the background that might be hogging the memory? Usually when I have an app crash it's because I ran out of memory (I'm jailbroken and the status bar lists how much memory is free - I can see when it gets super low, then something crashes and suddenly I have 200MB free).

6. Kismetlrc macrumors newbie

New to the forum, but having the same problem with my ipad2.

Increasingly, I'll be typing in a forum and after a paragraph or two, the screen jumps back to the iPad main page. Losing a few paragraphs isn't the end of the world, but after one has put some "thought" into what's been typed, it's a little more than frustrating.

It doesn't appear to matter if other applications are running or not...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

7. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Under System look in General -> About -> Diagnostic & Usage -> Diagnostic & Usage Data

See if there are any low memory messages.

If there are double tap home and check out the number of apps staged for background on the bottom of the screen. You may need to close some of them out.

8. donnaw macrumors 65816

This

If you do find many 'low memory' instances be sure you are running 5.1. For many of us 5.0 caused these issues. There is a really long thread over on Apple discussions about it. 5.1 cured most (but not all) of my crashes.