iPad End of Life Sale

Discussion in 'iPad' started by leftywamumonkey, Jan 9, 2011.

1. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I understand that the new iPad should be rolling around the corner soon and I wanted to buy someone the first generation 16GB iPad after the iPad 2 comes out.

I was wondering what my cheapest, most reliable option would be to buy them an iPad. I was thinking of these possible options.

1. Refurbished first generation 16GB iPad.
    Would the price go down significantly after the new iPad comes out?

2. New 16GB iPad in store after the new iPad is released, getting the End of Life discount.
    Anyone know how much it would be discounted according to the past discounts applied to other "i" products?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to save money as they would not need more than 16GB or the new features the new iPad would offer.

Thanks.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Picking up a v1 refurb is about the only option. Apple has old stock returned when a new model comes out and it goes to the refurb store. It's unusual to find old and new product versions mixed at the same location. Usually you'll only find the latest available version.

A refurb 1st gen iPad will probably be about $50-$70 cheaper than it currently is.

3. leftywamumonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Hmm, so I could expect the refurbished to be around $360 - $380 on the day of the new iPad release?

Thank you for your response, I didn't realize that the i Products go to the refurbished store.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

IM not sure about apple taking back the stock when new version come out. I've experienced lots of stores carrying "older" apple products. They are usually significantly cheaper, and therefore the stock runs out quickly. This is mostly because its just left over stock, they dont put the new ones on display till the old ones are gone. Dunno if that has changed though, Or if its always like that

5. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

You can check Apple for prices on their refurbished iPads. Apple keeps a very tight leash on its inventory level, so I doubt if you'll see them push for a significant price drop. FWIW, I can see sustain demand for the 1st generation iPad because of the predicted styling for the 2nd generation iPad.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?mco=MTM3NDc1NzM

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Ahh, that's right, I almost forgot. When the new iPad is released, then the 1st generation iPads are all going to stop working and be worthless

7. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Keep an eye on ebay as well. Many great deals there, which is what I may be doing if the iPad 2 doesn't "wow" me enough.

8. OSMac macrumors 65816

See what the new one offers might be worth the extra $100, if not you will find 100's of people in line at every apple store needing to upgrade on release day and selling their current one at a discount :)

Buy used after the new one is out, will be a buyers market.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Remember. Unless someone throws it into the bin.

Every single iPad sold will be going back to Apple to have at the very least a new battery fitted.

I think we can assume people will still be finding even the Mk1 iPad a useful tool when the battery starts to die and as the user can't do anything about it, it will be heading back to Apple, or an approved repairer, perhaps as now you will get a swap out.