iPad Event for Spec Bump?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Feb 28, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Spec bumps of Apple products usually don't have a press event.

Adding ram, camera(s) is it that significant,
    maybe something unexpected coming,
    or a chance to herald the success so far?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Totally expected

Doubt this...but who knows

Definitely this.

Remember, the iPhone still gets a yearly announcement.

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Both the iPhone 3G and 3GS had events and the 3GS was more significant of an upgrade.

I feel that more RAM, a faster processor, cameras, and a better screen are significant upgrades; however, many people only think that a retina display makes it a significant upgrade.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

But the iOS lineup always does have a keynote every March. It's likely Apple is simply merging the two events this year.

6. Cander macrumors 6502

I hope this will be the most important news to come out of this event. I really do not care what they do hardware wise even if they announced the iPad having an 8 core chip in it. I want to see some major additions to iOS.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Unless I'm forgetting something, the iPhone 3GS was technically just a spec bump. Aside from a camera addition and thickness changes, the iPod touch has just been spec bumped.

You're not going to see anything as radical as last year because you can't recreate an iPad out of nothing. The original iPad did a lot right, so there's not a lot of stuff to fix. It will mostly be internal boosts just like computer updates.

8. ozred macrumors 6502

It seems that iOS has become the sole focus of Apple. I'm sure you'll see what you're looking for. The faster Apple dumbs down their computers, so as to merge them into the iOS Eco-system, the happier they'll be. The more money they'll make. And the company will be streamlined into an easy to manage, disposable sealed appliance provider.

9. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Only if you ignore the fact that just LAST WEEK they talked about OS X Lion.

10. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Hardware has never taken a majority of time of Apple's keynote. Look at the iPad introduction - how much time was dedicated to hardware? 2 minutes and 42 seconds. The remaining 1 hour and 27 minutes or so was spent on demoing, basic information/updates, and software.

I imagine that they will want to do some hardware comparisons on performance between iPad 1 and iPad 2, but hardware is never that important.

Look for: Update on the state of iOS; preview of iOS5; update of iWork for iPad; some new software suite - whether it be a new store or perhaps something like iLife for iPad; demo of Facetime for iPad, etc.

The whole event is to narrate iPad's story for the next year and to separate it from the competition with value-added software. Whether or not people actually find value in it is a different question though.

11. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

If you checked out Lion, you'd see iOS and OS X are on converging paths.

12. nsanch4 macrumors newbie

Hm... Sorry guys I may have missed this on other forums, but I thought Ipad 2 will NOT be upgraded to retina display (At least thats what Cnet said on the rumors). Will it get Retina display already?

Edit: Ok, i missread the other post. Anyway, will the Ipad 2 get a better screen than the first one?

13. Cander macrumors 6502

Wait till Wednesday and find out with everyone else.

14. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I did check out Lion, and if you've been listening to Apple's words you'd know that OS X and iOS will never converge completely. OS X merely takes the appropriate good parts from iOS and merges them into itself. It will always remain as the desktop OS.

And Apple just updated the MBP line too, and that has nothing to do with iOS.

15. Cander macrumors 6502

In before the inevitable 'For now!' post where they proclaim that moving usability and UI enhancements from iOS to OS X is proof that they will remove Terminal, Finder, and the ability to install software outside of the App Store.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Odds are the screen will use the same construction technique as the iPhone 4 which places the LCD closer to the glass. If you compare the two iPads, the new one will look better.

17. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

If it goes to 720p HD screen (that is "slightly larger", maybe 10" instead of 9.7") it can technically be called a retina display with only a 30dpi bump since average distance held from the users eyes is 1-2 feet which would only require between about 150-175dpi for the pixels to be indistiguishable by the user