iPad exchange for iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Noppie, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Noppie macrumors newbie

The past couple weeks every post on Apple own support page by me has been deleted.

A few days ago I received an e-mail saying my iphone had been exchanged for a replacement iphone for a bad speaker issue. I call the Apple store in Townson and said that I had not been to the apple store. I had dropped my iphone and took it the AT&T store in my area. AT&T said I was out of luck they would not honor APPLE repair or exchange policy. The APPLE Store said they would honor their policy but it would cost me $199. No problem in that regard.

But they could not explain how a customer who did indeed bring in an iPhone and he received an exchange iPhone. It had my same serial number and other information.

My brother and his girlfriend went to APPLE Store in Towson Md. They had each purchased an iPad 1 within the two week return policy of iPad 2. My brother had purchased his at a wal-mart. They refused to honor apple return policy and said he had to do the exchange at an Apple store. She had purchased her at an AT&T store and they said the same thing. The APPLE store in Towson said the only exchanges allowed were those purchased at THAT Apple store.

I called the APPLE store and they said the official policy was two week window of the release of the iPad2. The employee said that there had been some confusing and customers had been return their older ipad purchased up till 90 days from the release of iPad 2 and that store had allowed those exchanges. But now the situation had been cleared up.

APPLE has removed all posts on it support forum that discuss their exchange for iPad for iPad2.

TeachAmerica website had in the past said that APPLE would allow older iPad to be exchanged for ipad 2 at 10% of the cost. (if the older ipad was donated).

I used to really like APPLE as a company and it products. I believe it was very bad business to have iPad 2 come out with a camera without notice. If they had announce that option and others and it would be release date. Well, then they would not have their current problem.

I had purchased two iPads for my nephew and niece and they are happy with them.

2. JeffMorse macrumors regular

While there was no official notice on the camera, it was pretty much the only thing everyone agreed it would have.

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

First, I really hope english isn't your first language, because that post was really difficult to read.

Second, the "iPad 1 for iPad 2" exchange was clearly stated to only apply to iPads bought from Apple stores. That was said from the very beginning, but I am guessing from your english skills you probably didn't understand that at all. If you want you could still return the iPad 1 to the original places you bought them from, and then buy the iPad 2 with the full refund that each store gives you. It's not Apple's responsibility to honor sales from other retailers, they have no way of dealing with that.

Also you complain about the iPad 2 coming out "without notice" yet there was countless articles and news reports talking about the imminent iPad 2 release. These stories got more common after Jan 1st, and only intensified leading up to the announcement. Every single one of them mentioned that it would have a camera. Unless you had your head in the sand you would have known there was a new iPad coming out. Lack of research on the buyer's part is not Apple's responsibility.

I also have no clue what you are rambling about with the iPhone 4, it was so incoherent I wasn't able to understand you.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

It seems like every single one of your complaints are over an Apple Store not being willing to fix other retailer's problems. Why would anyone expect to return a product purchased at one store at another store, never mind expecting to get an upgraded product?

5. Noppie, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011

Noppie thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear admanimal That is taken out of context and misleading from my post. I do not expect APPLE to honor exchanges made by other stores on products sold by both of them.

My brother and his girl friend purchased their ipads within the two week window time frame. Wal-mart and AT&T believes that APPLE is responsible for those exchanges. You buy a sanyo TV and it does not function as design. Wal-mart requires you to return it sanyo. If Sanyo recalls a products or offers an exchange it is done with in those rules. Whether an upgrade, similar or same product. Thus they believe it is APPLE responsibility.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) What any site other than Apple posted is irrelevant. They can't speak for Apple and there is a lot of misinformation floating around.

2) To my knowledge Apple did not offer any special trade-in policy for iPad 1 owners of late. It has always been Apple policy to price match products that have been reduced within 14 days of purchase from the the Apple Store. If you bought your Apple product from a 3rd party then the return policy of that store would be followed, not the Apple Store policy. Seems obvious, I guess not.

3) Apple has a long reputation of not pre-announcing products. This goes back decades and any Apple fan is aware of this policy. It's why there are so many Mac rumor type sites. All any of us have to go on is rumor and speculation.

4) Despite Apple not pre-announcing products it does have a well established product launch cycle that every Apple fan is aware of. Typically laptops and iMacs update twice a year, Mac Pros, once, iPads right now are once in late winter/early spring, iPhones once early Summer, and iPods once late summer/early fall.

In other words every iPad fan on the planet, except you, seemed to know that a new iPad release was imminent. And, in fact, there were iPad2 mock ups floating around CES in early January that turned out to be very similar to the actual iPad 2, complete with new speaker area and camera holes. So blame yourself for not doing your research.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If the product was defective, Apple would handle the transaction
    It is not, it is simply a return, and should be handled under the rules of the store where it was purchased
    Hence, your example about a defective or recalled TV is not relevant

Apple has an exchange policy within 2 weeks of a new product
    Apparently Walmart and AT&T don't and have directed you to Apple
    Apple won't honor it because you didn't buy from them

Why not return for a refund at Walmart and AT&T and purchase what you want instead of seeking an exchange for a newer product?

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Your iPads do function as designed. You just want an upgrade to the latest model.
    You see the distinction, no?

9. Noppie thread starter macrumors newbie

Again this taken out of context and misleading. If other and myself KNEW that an ipad 2 was coming out (not rumors). Then others and including myself might have delayed our purchase. NOW if upgrade was coming out in 2 or more months I would not waited. I would had purchased my iPads. My purchases for my ipads was on the 2nd of February outside of the two week window for returns.

It is well beyond bad business for APPLE to have launched iPad 2 unannounced in the manner in which it did. If you and anyone believed it was heroic for APPLE to rip off (please place the most distasteful profanity HERE) it users/customers. Well that is your choice. If APPLE continues with this type of bad business practices. Expect more upset customers. There is nothing wrong with them building a better product. It however does not give them the RIGHT to be distasteful or morally bankrupt in its business dealings.

If anyone HERE supports that type of behavior. That is your choice.

10. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

iPad 2 was not released unannounced. There was a keynote a week prior. You might want to read the rumor sites from now on to avoid future issues.

11. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

this is done with every release by any tech company...

time to move on

12. bossxii macrumors 68000

First off this is what I recall reading... specific to Apple stores only for the return/swap statement that I read online.

Secondly as Dawg states, they should have simply returned the iPad 1, taken their money and then went and purchased an iPad 2. No other store but the actual "APPLE" store via Apple company's offer said anything about an exchange.

Just because someone doesn't fully understand the rules, doesn't mean they can bend it to get what they want. Although that seems to be standard protocol in the US anymore. Spoiled, lazy people wanting everything done for them and no consistences for their actions.

It's almost comforting to know the world ends in 2012!

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

Any purchaser of a tech item that's been out for many months (April 2010 to February 2011 is 10 months) has to know that they're buying near the end of a product cycle. True for digital cameras, TVs, cell phones, computers and iPads. Apple has to pick a reasonable date for recent purchasers to consider an upgrade and 2 weeks is reasonable. You would certainly prefer 4, but the purchaser who bough a week before you would prefer 5. It's intellectually dishonest to say you weren't aware that a new one was coming soon.

14. saving107, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Correct,

Apple sent out invitations to the media 7 days in advance on February 23rd with an obvious hint of an iPad update

[​IMG]

and then released the product 9 days after the Keynote, 16 days in advance doesn't sound like it was released "unannounced"

OP, get over yourself (now I see why your post continue to get deleted on Apple's Forum).

I also want to add that if the iPad 2 was released unannounced, we all got the memo

[​IMG]

15. nStyle macrumors 65816

First, you obviously have been exposed to English long enough to accumulate a decent vocabulary. Please work on structure and logic, as you have neither and it is making it extremely difficult to decipher your rant.

I don't understand why you're bitching. As long as your iPad is still working as it did when you bought it, (and if it's not, you have no ground to do anything in the first place) why not just return the damn thing to the store you bought it from?

I think you are just bitching because you are out of your return window to those stores now, and that is 100% your fault, no one else. Also, stop trying to make "APPLE" (as you annoyingly capitalize) look like the enemy. It is your fault.

Also, what in the heck did the iPhone comment at the beginning of the post have to do with anything? Not only did it not make sense and I still don't know what you're talking about, it was totally irrelevant.

16. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

What a silly, selfish, and stupid argument. EVERYBODY knew that the iPad 2 was on the near horizon a long time before the actual release or even the press event. I know this for a fact because I bought myself an iPad 1 a couple of weeks ago, but had been considering it for a few months. I knowingly chose the cheaper option once I decided that it would suit my needs just fine.

The fact that the release came a few weeks after your purchase rather than a few months is irrelevant. YOU just expect Apple to pay you for your lack of patience or inability to read EVERY tech news headline regarding Apple for the last two months. Not to mention that you could have easily just returned the iPads and used the money to buy the newer model, but you got greedy and wanted to do it YOUR way.

Apple's not a bad business. You're a bad customer.

17. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Boo hoo!!! You, or whomever bought the iPads, did not do the research before you purchased. If you had you would have known apple was expected to update in march. Now you want them to take the old ones back and give you the updated one. Thats ridiculous. With thousands of people lining up outside of stores every day to get their hands on this product, I don't think apple will be upset at all if you decide to never buy another product of theirs again..