iPad: Exeter Princesshay Launch Meetup?

Discussion in 'iPad Launch Meetups' started by GarryBacon, Mar 7, 2012.

1. GarryBacon macrumors regular

Hello,

So who will be at Princesshay, Exeter next friday?

I will be there with a friend.

Thanks,

Garry Bacon

2. GarryBacon thread starter macrumors regular

3. O-H-T macrumors newbie

I will be.

Just phone the Exeter store and asked if they had any info on opening times etc yet, they had nothing.

They said they could start selling it at opening time or not start selling it til later in the afternoon and said to keep an eye on the website for further details.

I hope they start selling in the morning, has anyone been to an iPad launch?

4. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

It was 5pm everywhere for iPad 2 (though the US launched by itself a week or so earlier than the rest of the world) but I hope that this is more of an early morning thing. I'd rather queue at night and be home early, to be honest.

The opening of the new Houston store suggests that we're looking at an 8am launch.

I'm considering doing this launch, anyway. I'll have to see where the mood is taking me on Wednesday / Thursday.

5. O-H-T macrumors newbie

When you say 5pm, do you mean in the states?

Any idea when they'll announce what their plans are?

6. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

No, just 5pm local time wherever you were. I queued in the UK. I take the silence on the opening time to mean a fairly normal opening; the new Houston store having its grand opening at 8am suggests that the new iPad will go on sale at that time.

7. O-H-T macrumors newbie

Here's hoping for 8am. I'm just hoping they announce some details within the next day or 2 so I can decide what I'm doing.

8. GarryBacon thread starter macrumors regular

PEOPLE!!!

Haha I really thought it would be a quiet launch here at Princesshay.

Heres my input.

- 8am, 98% sure its going to be an early launch, Phoned Exeter and they agree but cannot confirm.

- Even if the launch is at 8am, I refuse to leave and que up any earlier than 4am!

- I'm going for the iPad in white, 32GB, WiFi. - Data being tethered from my iPhone 4s's Three sim card. Green smart cover.

What you all hoping for?

Genuinely happy there are people going to Exeter now.

9. O-H-T, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

O-H-T macrumors newbie

When I phoned Exeter they seemed hesitant to even suggest they'll open at 8, I really hope they do.

I have a long drive to Exeter do I expect I'll arrive around 7 - 7:30.

I'm hoping for a 16gb black. I already purchased a dark grey smart cover. I had a green one on my iPad 2 which I sold with it, I prefer the look of the darker covers.

10. GarryBacon thread starter macrumors regular

Where are you coming from? I am going to get my smart cover in town today as I want to ensure I get one, But everywhere seems to sell only the first generation smart cover with the generic grey interior cloth. The new ones match so green on outside, green on inside.

11. O-H-T macrumors newbie

I'm travelling from north Devon, picking one up locally isn't looking good so I thought I'd try my luck in Exeter.

Do you have a source on these new smart covers? I've not seen anything about them.

12. GarryBacon thread starter macrumors regular

Apple only so sar, retail stores online. Check them out and i'm coming from Paignton. Exeter is the place to be. But the 4s launch was full of non-english speaking people at the front and they where we being so loud we nearly got kicked out. Hope they don't return. I would say to you the Black is the most popular as is the 16GB. Personally i would suggest leaving that bit earlier. Only about 30 minute drive from where I live. But last launch I sussed out the best and cheapest place to park would you like the information on that?

13. O-H-T macrumors newbie

I wish I could leave that bit earlier, but I can't. Hoping that I'll be there by 7 though, fingers crossed that I get there early enough to get what I want.

I'll definetly check out the new smart covers, may even take my grey one back.

If you wouldn't mind would you send me a PM with the car park info?

14. GarryBacon, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

GarryBacon thread starter macrumors regular

The grey one is possibly okay because the old ones had grey inside.

Check out this link to apple and look at the colourful ones.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD309ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU2Mjc

As for the car park - Looking like Parr Street car park. It's 24 hour. It's about a 5-10 Minute walk and its only £6.20 for 6 hours and over (UPDATED PRICES), the cheapest in Exeter. Was looking at Princesshay car park but they don't seem to list it never used it just seen it the other day but being a building one it's not usually 24 hours. The Post Code EX1 2BE

15. O-H-T macrumors newbie

I took a look at them earlier, look pretty snazzy now. I can't take my grey one back, lost the receipt already :(

I'll take a look at that car park, thanks for the tip. I think Princesshay car park opens at 7am, so I'll probably end up going there as it's easy and close.

How do you fancy my chances with me getting there at around 7:30? I've never been to an apple store launch. I bought my 3gs and 4s from phone shops on launch day.

16. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Honestly? As they're almost certainly opening at 8, it's going to come down to stock levels. Sometimes you're fine to turn up later and they'll have stock for an hour or two after opening, other times they'll sell out more quickly.

There are so many factors...not only stock, but how will demand be? Perhaps there's less, I don't know. I think 7:30 is cutting it fine and at the very least I'd say that you might have to accept whatever model is left rather than getting your hopes up for a certain one.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic - just giving my opinion! I hope there's ample supply and everyone obtains exactly what they want.

17. GarryBacon thread starter macrumors regular

To be perfectly honest you will stand a good chance, But worst comes to worst you might have to change your colour choice or go higher as I previously said the 16GB blacks are the most popular. That car park is more ideal for me who is going to get there very, very early indeed. I want to be in and out as I have work in the evening. I am also thinking of now leaving earlier.

----------

Frank (hope that is your name), what time are you going to get there? I am thinking of arriving in the wee small hours. Approx. 2-4.

18. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Not sure yet, but I've been thinking about 1:30? If I recall correctly, the 4S went on sale at 9am and I arrived around the same time, so it's effectively an hour later. I like to be done and dusted as quickly as possible after it goes on sale - Much prefer queuing for longer beforehand than being stuck behind a couple of hundred people after they've opened!

19. GarryBacon thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah good point, I got there at 1:40 and I had it okay. Actually yeah i'll going to leave Paignton at 1am. So i'll get there just after 1:30am. Good plan!

20. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

The time will pass quickly enough. I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable the 4S launch was; the hours slipped by in the end. I looked back at the queue as I was leaving and that validated my decision to get there early.

21. O-H-T macrumors newbie

I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth the trip arriving at 7 when it seems most people will be arriving waaaaayyyyy before me.

22. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Looks like it's on for a late night / early morning on Thursday & Friday!

23. GarryBacon thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

8am confirmed. Although I'm hoping I will be well enough to go. Been being sick today all day. Not very well at all. First time I have touched my phone today after getting sent home from work. Not long now though!! 29 hours ish and we will be starting to que up!

24. Stas macrumors newbie

Would be good if someone posted here what's the situation like at 2am or whenever. Only live 20 min walk away from the store but rather spend the nite at home and go at 7-8am..

25. GarryBacon thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you wanna be in and out 4am very latest I'd say. I was about 25th after getting there at 1:40 so any later and you will be there for ages!