Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ok...so I'm thinking about getting an iPad but I'm not sure to get 3G or just WiFi?

I want to do some work with it in school (WiFi), Home (WiFi), NetFlix (?), and regular surfing the web.

Obviously the 3G + WiFi cost more...but the major killer is the monthly plans you have to order...Is 3G really worth it? Or with someone with my needs good with WiFi only?

I have no idea how much 200MB vs 2GB of data charges would be so I don't know if 3G is worth it.

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Ok...so I'm thinking about getting an iPad but I'm not sure to get 3G or just WiFi?

I want to do some work with it in school (WiFi), Home (WiFi), NetFlix (?), and regular surfing the web.

Obviously the 3G + WiFi cost more...but the major killer is the monthly plans you have to order...Is 3G really worth it? Or with someone with my needs good with WiFi only?

I have no idea how much 200MB vs 2GB of data charges would be so I don't know if 3G is worth it.

Buying a 3G iPad does not obligate you to buy the data plans. Having it available is a nice to have feature, especially on long trips, but if you are only using it at home or school, 3G isn't really necessary.

The only other difference is that GPS is only available in the 3G model. So, if you want to use any of the navigation apps, you pretty much need to buy the 3G.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Buying a 3G iPad does not obligate you to buy the data plans. Having it available is a nice to have feature, especially on long trips, but if you are only using it at home or school, 3G isn't really necessary.

The only other difference is that GPS is only available in the 3G model. So, if you want to use any of the navigation apps, you pretty much need to buy the 3G.

Verizon offers 1GB Data plans for $20
But I have no idea how much that equivalents to in Internet time usage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.