iPad iPad extended warranty with Amex?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by benasdf, Sep 21, 2014.

1. benasdf, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

benasdf macrumors newbie

Back in January of 2013 I purchased an iPad Mini (from Target, if it matters) using my Amex card.

A couple weeks ago it started developing an issue where it would get stuck on the :apple: screen during a reboot. Typically I could power it off and on and eventually it would fully bootup and work perfectly...until the next reboot.

I finally got sick of it and brought it in to the Apple store today. After doing a DFU and various other diagnostics, the guy suggested doing a full swap. Of course the warranty expired in Jan, so they quoted me $220.

So, finally getting to the meat of my question: has anyone had any success filing an extended warranty claim w/ Amex for this sort of thing? What sort of documentation did you have to provide? Was it a big hassle or pretty trouble free? If it matters I have a Delta SkyMiles Platinum card.

Really just curious to know what peoples experience has been. I've never tried to use this benefit.

2. R3k macrumors 6502a

Never had to do this specifically, but have made claims in the past with Amex. As long as your card supports the extended warranty (you can check the conditions for each individual card online) then I can imagine it being a pretty easy and cruisy process. If it's your 1st claim and you've been with them for an ok amount of time, and have made more than a handful of purchases, then I'd say that they'd barely bat an eyelid.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

OP, you said you purchased your iPad in Jan 2014? It's still under warranty with Apple. You have 12 months with Apple and AMEX extends it by 12 months. Why is Apple wanting to charge you money? :confused:

4. benasdf thread starter macrumors newbie

Durr. Meant 2013. Fixed. Thanks...

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

OK, then contact AMEX, give them the transaction date and they'll give you instructions on how to proceed. It's easy and they will foot the bill up to the original purchase price.