iPad external storage for movies??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chris6699, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Chris6699 macrumors newbie

I have seen one YouTube video with a guy using the camera kit to plug in a USB stick to watch a film. For the life of me, I cannot find the format that allows me to do the same.

Can anyone help me out and also, has anyone used the wifi hard drives to watch movies on their iPad?

Cheers

Chris

2. thedirtyglass macrumors newbie

Seagate goflex

I was able to score a SeaGate GoFlex hard drive for $50.00 this summer and used it on vacation. It has to be the best investment I ever made. Both me and my wife were watching HD movies (Boondocks Saints for me, The Proposal for her) from the same GoFlex from opposite sides of the plane (we brought family) with it in the carryon bin. I would say for the cost an extra 500gb of movies wirelessly is worth every penny you would pay.

3. Chris6699 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wifi on a plane!?

First of all dirtyglass, thank you, I shall buy one tomorrow :) but most importantly, you used a wifi device on a plane!?!? My god man! Are you insane!? :D

4. monkeylui macrumors 6502

How did you do wifi share on the iPad? Please elaborate.

5. Chris6699 thread starter macrumors newbie

GoFlex

The GoFlex is a wifi hard drive. You can connect up to three (I think) devices to it and stream videos from it.

6. Meanee macrumors 6502a

A number of air carriers have WiFi on board for inflight internet access (Delta, Virgin America). Not sure about European carriers. And I also posted one Facebook update myself while PILOTING a plane. And I lived to tell the tale. Not my brightest moment and I am really not proud of it, but hey, all avionics are intact.

7. Chris6699 thread starter macrumors newbie

You should be ashamed! Putting lives at risk whilst on Facebook.......come to think of it, has Facebook or angry birds every crashed a plane??

8. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It was not a commercial flight and it's 2-person airplane (Cessna C152). I was flying over hilly, wooded area in eastern Pennsylvania. No lives were endangered.

On large aircraft, I can understand how radio interference may affect the plane. The aviation spectrum uses lower VHF frequencies (slightly above your average FM radio), and some planes carry instrument called ADF (Automated Direction Finder) that uses AM radio frequencies to point bearing to either AM broadcasting station or simply a beacon. I believe cell phones start with 800mhz and go up. Larger planes have more sensitive gear, such as radio altimiter, and plane to ground communication systems such as ACARS. They may be affected, but they are not critical to flight.

The biggest reason why you cannot use anything during takeoff or landing is in unlikely event something happens, the iPod you are listening to does not turn into a high speed projectile and lodges itself in someone's skull. And they ask you to keep radio transmitters Off mostly for "But what if it DOES do something bad?"

9. Chris6699 thread starter macrumors newbie

Educated

I was just having a laugh. I understand why you shouldn't use electronic equipment. Although I've never been asked to put my iPod away because it may decapitate someone!? Only asked to turn it off.

10. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It may be simply different regulation set. Flight crews typically would like anything that is not secure to be put away. Rejected takeoff can be rough and certainly cause some stuff to fly around the cabin.

11. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

For $50 that's a great deal. If I remember correctly those retail for $199.

12. sooner518 macrumors member

just curious how this works. is there some kind of Seagate app that you put on the ipad in order to access the file structure of the external HD?

13. jivemaster macrumors member

To avoid confusion it's actually called the GoFlex Satellite. There are many Seagate GoFlex drives available but the Satellite is the only drive in the range that wirelessly steams content.

14. AZ1578 macrumors newbie

Yes. Thank you for clarifying this. I was going to ask. Now I'd like to know where it can be found for $50.

15. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

Personally I use the camera connection kit with my SD cards, load them with movies, import to ipad then watch them that way and delete from pad when done

16. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I think the original question in this thread was pretty close to… how do you do that? ;)

I don't have a camera connection kit. It sounds like that and some SD cards could really be worth the investment if I'd like some extra space. I just didn't know you could do anything like that with the camera kit.

17. jdr00ejr macrumors newbie

I would also like to know how Ingster does this. I'd be very interested.