iPad faulty out of box.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by adamlbiscuit, Apr 18, 2011.

1. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

I received my white iPad 2 today and I must say it's been a massive disappointment. The anti-climax to end all anti-climaxes. I've been waiting weeks for my iPad and now I have it it doesn't seem to want to work.

Okay, onto my problem: The iPad turns on and displays the 'connect to iTunes' screen. Okay, I get out the usb connector and plug it right in to my MacBook Pro expecting iTunes to open and let me set the device up, just like it did with my iPhone and iPod. But theres no response from either the iPad or the MacBook Pro. It won't show up in iTunes and the iPad still displays the 'connect to iTunes' screen.

I unplug it then plug it back in, no dice. So I get my iPhone usb connector and try that. STILL won't work. I restart both the MacBook and the iPad and as you can imagine it doesn't work. So in a last ditch attempt I plug the iPad into my iMac - and theres no response there either. Hell, the iPad won't even respond when I plug it into the wall socket.

As you can imagine I'm annoyed - I've spent around £600 on this thing, and I've been waiting patiently for days. I've booked in for a Genius Bar appointment right this second - do you think it'd be right of me to expect a replacement? What is most likely the cause for this problem I'm experiencing with my brand new iPad?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If it's actually defective then they'll definitely give you a replacement.

It doesn't even charge when connected to the wall socket (using it's wall adapter)?

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

With any mass produced item, technological or not, some units have problems. It's an unfortunate truth. Best bet is simple to step back, take a breath, and head to the Apple store.

Also, keep this in mind:
    You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Be polite to the store employees. It's not their fault.

4. billhelm macrumors regular

You can try running through the things here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1591

I had a similar problem with a windows laptop and it turned out to be the Mobile Device Service.

If you do go to the Apple Store, bring your MacBook with you in case it's a computer issue.

5. adamlbiscuit thread starter macrumors regular

Nah it doesn't work when plugged into the wall via the wall socket adaptor.

I fully intend to be polite when in the apple store. Besides my appointments not until tomorrow so I'll be able to see things more objectively most likely by that point. I even think it may be those who delivered it who were at fault - it's not a good sign when the box has a gaping hole in it... then again it's not a good thing to point the finger. It's most likely a manufacturing problem.

I think I may be correct in saying it's most likely an issue with the Dock Connector?

edit: thanks for the link billhelm

6. Carouser macrumors 65816

It can't hurt to document everything, either. Bring a picture of the box with the hole (or bring the box!). Do you mean the delivery carton or the iPad's box?

Glad to see lots of info in the OP, reasonable help, and considerate replies; I hope you get it sorted out well. Usually when I click on a thread with a similar title it's a group-slam of Apple's failings without anything productive going on.

I think you are right to at least your money back. Hopefully you get an exchange (or fix) in-store. Good luck!

7. adamlbiscuit thread starter macrumors regular

It's the delivery carton that's got the hole in it, the iPad box was okay so thinking about it, it's most likely not that which is to blame. I just can't believe it's broke out of the box so I'm exhausting all possible reasons.

I hope they can get a replacement unit for me straight off but I'm worried about the iPad shortages. What if they can't replace it because they don't have any?

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

Typically with a problem like that they will replace it on the spot. The shortages shouldn't be a problem as they usually have stock in "brown boxes" ( just the iPad on it's own and not an of the shelf retail box ) for warranty replacements.

9. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

Maybe a silly questions but did you make sure you had the most up to take version of iTunes? This happened with a friend of mine, he got all worried cause his laptop wouldn't recognize his iPad, but once he updated... everything was fine.

10. gmikesell macrumors regular

I had a similar issue when I got mine on release day (US). I plugged it into the wall charger for a couple hours and after a bit I tried it again and it fired right up. Havent had a problem with it since and been loving it ever since! Not sure if your issue is the same as mine but maybe?

11. adamlbiscuit thread starter macrumors regular

I've got the latest version, yeah. Theres no response from the iPad at all even when plugged into the wall via the wall socket adaptor.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

A similar thing happened to me. Mine actually worked for an entire day on the initial charge. Once I went to charge it fully for the first time, it stopped functioning completely. I waited 3.5 weeks, and now I had to send it in, there is no Apple store close by.

13. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

If I read your post incorrectly, I apologize, but did you try launching iTunes on your Macbook Pro before you connect the iPad rather than plugging in the iPad first and waiting for iTunes to start automatically? I've got iTunes configured so that it doesn't automatically start when I connect an iDevice.

Even if you don't have iTunes configured this way, it's worth a shot.

14. adamlbiscuit thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I've tried multiple different combinations. It just won't seem to work, I think I've exhausted all the options now. I should be sat enjoying it by this point. :(

15. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Ok, that's too bad. I hate that you have to wait some more, but I know that Apple will get you a good unit.

16. adamlbiscuit thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I hope I will too. I trust the next one will at least work ;)

17. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

Sorry, I read your post and it sounded like, from how i read it, that you were almost reluctant to even ask for a replacement. In all honesty, you are the consumer, they are selling the goods, if it doesn't work, you know the routine. Someone else mentioned this, but unfortunately with EVERYTHING, defects and flaws do happen and make their way to the consumers, but the retailers and or mfg's should have no problems replacing it for you. worry not.:)