iPad Feature - Cut Copy Replace?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dlewis23, Feb 28, 2010.

1. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I was working on a iPad app tonight and he discovered a new option that I have never seen or heard anyone talk about before.

When you double click some text and get the cut and copy menu, there was a 3rd option called Replace and when you click that it gives you a few different words to replace the selected text with.

Is this a new feature with 3.2 beta 3, or something I just missed?

Here is a screen shot.

[​IMG]

2. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Hey that's kinda neat. Reminds me of the suggestion engine in suretype on a BB...

3. cmaier macrumors G3

You're violating the NDA by talking about this.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Really? There is a NDA on the iPad SDK? I thought it was freely available.

5. cmaier macrumors G3

No, it's not. You must be a member of the developer program to download the iPad SDK. It is clearly marked as being subject to NDA.

6. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

7. cmaier macrumors G3

8. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

You honestly think Apple will do anything about this? Get off your high horse. No body cares, including Apple.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

They might not do anything to any individual person, but seeing all of this info leak in spite of the NDA could deter them from including certain things in beta SDKs in the future, which hurts developers and ultimately consumers (more information for devs = better apps).

10. johndango macrumors member

11. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

lol lol :rolleyes:

12. WytRaven macrumors 6502

It really isn't funny.

13. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was mocking him?

14. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

15. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Doubt it. If Apple cared so much they'd ask websites like Engadget and Gizmodo, and even this one, to take down this kind of information that they post about all the time, which, as far as my knowledge goes, doesn't happen.

Also, ultimately, if this sort of thing does hurt software development for their devices (which it doesn't/won't), and Apple does make things that are really relevant disappear from the SDK's which hinder app development, then Apple will just be shooting themselves in the foot because developers will just go develop for other platforms, which in turn will increase competition and make better products elsewhere, therefore helping the consumer further.

16. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I saw a video on youtube (now removed) where someone talked about the new iPad features. And the new text correction features are hugely improved over the iPhone, including that text replace feature.

Apparently the new software detects if you've failed to press spacebar and splits the words intelligently, and it will present the various word possibilities using that replace function, saving you from having to delete and retype misspelled words.

Oh no wait, the video's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8sU_DnYeXo

17. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Awesome! I regularly have to go back and delete 'n' and 'b' from my texts or emails there were meant to be spaces when I type on my phone.

18. cmaier macrumors G3

Since these publications do not post copyrighted information, apple cannot ask them to take it down.

If you want to violate a contract you entered into, best of luck. I hope someone breaks a contract with you soon so karmic balance is restored.

19. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, post about the NDA'd SDK all you want, but having a link to your iPhone app in your sig doesn't seem like the best idea.

20. cmaier macrumors G3

Why not? Because I obey the NDA?

21. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Booo Hooo let the man tell us what he found! Atleast this thread is meaning full and has good information unlike some of the other ones that have recently popped up! :mad:

22. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

What in the hell are you even talking about?

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I think he was talking about the original poster, not you.

24. cmaier macrumors G3

Sorry. The start of your sentence seemed directed at me, so I assumed the rest was, too.

Yes, the person violating the NDA should not be providing a link to his app.

25. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Its ok. I was just really confused. I also didn't realize you had links to your apps as well. I thought about quoting the OP but felt it was redundant.