iPad File Transfer w/o iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shovelca, May 18, 2011.

1. shovelca macrumors newbie

We want to give away iPads to Customers but need the ability to upload documents (PDF) WITHOUT confguring the iPad in iTunes. We don't want to create an Apple ID for our Customers. Of course without an Apple ID we can't purchase and download Apps to do the file transfer.
    Any ideas on how we can do this?
    Thanks!

2. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

You will need to jailbreak,but unfortunately you can't do that with ipad2 yet. I would recommend sticking with Android tablets since you can easily transfer stuff to and from the device without needing the market.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

3. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

You can simply email them the files and they can save the files to the iBook for later access.

edit: sorry I didn't read that you didn't want to download apps so iBook is out. :(

4. shovelca thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Egg. How do I get GoodReader on the iPad without iTunes?

5. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

I downloaded I think it was air file (cant remember off the top of my head and dont have my ipad in front of me), and it allows you to copy files to your ipad wirelessly without itunes. you turn on a setting that turns the ipad into a webserver for a short time and you can drag and drop files.

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

A number of files do this including GoodReader. You also have the option of sharing the PDF files using Dropbox or similar.

7. shovelca thread starter macrumors newbie

I really do appreciate all the help everybody. But the trick to all this is I can't setup an Apple ID on the iPad. I need a solution WITHOUT any sync with iTunes

8. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I don't believe there is a way to view a PDF on a vanilla iPad so I think you are hosed already.

9. dergaderg macrumors member

web server

try setting up a file server to host the pdf's. the ipads can view the pdfs in safari

10. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I didn't realise that. In that case, the web server or using email are 2 options.

11. Night Spring, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Look up iPhone configuration utility. I believe it lets you load apps onto iDevices without setting up a user account for each device.

Also, check through these pages for info.
    http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/

12. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Yup the iPad Safari has no problem reading PDFs - in fact the built-in viewer is very fast - but the reason I brought up the iBooks was that you can save the file for offline viewing when there's no internet available. If Apple bundled iBooks with the iPad the problem would've been solved easily.

13. 4phun macrumors member

Hardly any body buys, much less uses an Android tablet.
    I find it fascinating you even mention them as viable for a business.

I know if I ran into any business man trying to impress me with an Android tablet I would pass him up as he was from the ghetto.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Can't you create another iTunes account just to use to sync these iPads?

15. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Wow,someone had too much kool aid...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

16. nickbarbs macrumors regular

are you trolling? i would respect a business guy using an android tablet muich more than an Ipad, because he can you know, use files, and stuff.

The ipad is NOT a business device, get over it, its tied to Itunes and as long as that's the case it's an oversized ipod, not a tablet PC.

I have one but I know its limitations.

17. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Try telling that to our CTO! He seems to be embracing the iPad - it isn't a jack of all trades but is an excellent tool in certain scenarios.

18. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Checking email in between Angry Birds sessions does not make the ipad a powerful business tool.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

19. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

No but allowing a research nurse the ability to update drug trial and patient data at a doctors clinic while interacting with the patient in real time does!

20. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

This is one of those "post PC" quirks that Apple has to address.

21. Doombringer macrumors regular

This is an example of where Apple's ecosystem falls short. Basically, you have to play ball with their iTunes/AppStore back-end. For a consumer wanting to make iTunes/et. al. a part of their life, that's fine... but for an IT guy wanting to provision iPads to his users with certain apps or features locked-down, heh... good luck. Kludgy workarounds, go!

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For IT guys, there is the iOS configuration utility.

23. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Yup, this works the same way for iPhone & iPad. You can create and mass deploy profiles with restrictions in place e.g. in our work we prohibit iCloud document sync and also force a secure device lock password.

24. James4444 macrumors newbie

Thanks Egg. How do I get GoodReader on the iPad without iTunes?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

By directly purchasing / downloading it from the onboard AppStore app (first SpringBoard page).

----------

$22.5 euros for an app when you can have the equally good, if not even better, iExplorer 2.x for free(!!!), or the also-free iFunBox?

Both are capable of transferring files to the Documents folder of any app on even non-JB'n devices.