Ipad first gen still holds huge resell value

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rbethell11, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Rbethell11 macrumors newbie

On Ebay I just sold my Ipad 1st gen 16gb Wifi only model, along with the docking keyboard for 400 bucks.

I basically got 80% of the money back I used to pay for the device when it first came out a year and a half ago.

Not to mention, I could purchase a brand new one, in box now for that much.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I think this speaks less to the iPads resale value and more to the purchasing skills of some eBay buyers... :cool:

3. Eaglejay macrumors newbie

I was looking at getting an Ipad 2 but they are a bit too much for me so I thought I would get hold of an Ipad 1. I was genuinely shocked at how much they were going for on ebay!

4. erpetao macrumors regular

Awesome. I was able to sell mine for 455$ (285 gbp) about a month ago.

5. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

I sold my iPad 1 16 Gig WiFi with a Dodo case for $450 about two months ago. I hope this trend continues like it has for the iPhone. Selling my iPhones has meant never spending more than my initial investment to upgrade, and in fact, I've made money.

6. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

What about people who had sold higher end/config iPad units? :confused: Do you still get such high resale values? :confused: Or are the resale values not as good as the base config (16GB WiFi only) model? :confused:

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think those resale prices are towards the upper end of the resale market. And that they may, in part, be driven by still-tight supplies of the iPad 2.

That said, however, I think the strong resale price, and an existence of a market for year-old iPads, speaks volumes about the strength of the original design. That, out of the box, and in conjunction with the software updates Apple has put out, the original iPad is an incredible piece of kit - still outclassing the various Xooms, Playbooks, and Galaxy Tabs that have come along to challenge it. It also says, to me, that many consumers aren't that interested in the (limited) camera functionality that seems to be the biggest "feature" added to the iPad 2.

The strong resale market for iPads - and indeed virtually all Apple products - is part of the reason they hold the strong market position that they do. If you can buy an iPad or Mac, and a year or so later turn around and resell it for 80% of what you paid for it, its a strong incentive to buy Apple - as opposed to the numerous "me too" products, for which resale is limited.

8. gatearray macrumors 65816

9. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I've gotten $150 offers on CL before.

I pretty much just laugh at them

10. trsblader macrumors 6502

I've been searching craigslist like crazy lately for an iPad or iPad 2 deal. From what I see around me (from Cincy Ohio to Pittaburgh PA), the first generation iPad 16gb wifi still goes for 4-450, while the 32gb's go for under 400 sometimes. Also the 64gb's seem to still go for 600+ (550 for one is a great deal).

In the event that I can even find an ipad 2, they are almost always 50-100 more than buying new from the Apple Store or Walmart (quite a few Walmarts have "limited stock" of all the iPad 2's).

11. Cannoli. macrumors newbie

12. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

But you keep the apps for life so that is a non issue.

13. Sirius389 macrumors member

Sirius389

I was surprised at this too. I just sold my first gen iPad 32GB Wi-fi on eBay less than 2 weeks ago for $475 with a belkin skin and incase convertible book jacket.

that same night I went to Wal-mart and bought my iPad 2 :D

14. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Apple online is selling the iPad1 16GB Wifi model refurb for $349 and the 32GB Wifi for $449...that is a hell of a deal for what is essentially a factory new first gen iPad with full warranty...

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Why wouldn't an iPad first gen hold value?

I own both, and have spoken with others who have had first gen and "upgraded" to iPad 2.

Operationally the only difference to the user experience for most is the camera 'at this time'.

I purchased iPad1, my employer has supplied me with iPad2.

IPad1 does all my employer needs me to do, so I use my iPad1 at work and gave the iPad2 to my wife.

The demand of used iPad 1's is driven by those who do not need the camera.

16. megsandbytes macrumors member

I sold mine for $480, mind you that was nearly 2 months ago now

17. OSMac macrumors 65816

Also the one is the only one that can be jail broken, it's value may hold for a while if that remains the case.

Being able to use a wiiremote with a number of emulators is probably worth more to some than a couple cameras?

18. dmm219 macrumors 6502

slightly off topic...but i just sold my wife's 5 YEAR OLD bottom of the line white macbook for $250...5 year old bottom of the line apple macbook and I got 25% back for it...

...insane...i can't get a nickel resale for my 2 year old dell xps...

19. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Wow, so I guess the iPad 1 32GB wifi I got for $350 was a steal? I was skeptical and checked out everything from the seller on eBay as well as the serial # and such with my local apple store because I was fearful it was a stolen good for that price. Turns out he just wanted to sell it at that price and listed it as a one day option. He had a few iPads in the house and received this one as a gift.

Looks like I lucked out!!

20. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

All apple products hold their value pretty well, but if some is still paying 400 bucks fo first gen iPad today, they just don't have a clue.

The iPhone 4 will sell very well on eBay. If u are smart and are depending on the resell cash to buy iPhone 5 and can get by with using a dud phone for 2 months, you should sell now. U could get 80 to 90 percent of your cash back.

21. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

you are correct...what about the form factor and weight?