ipad: folders disappear after each app update

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by i.mac, Nov 24, 2010.

1. i.mac macrumors 6502a

Hi...

I wonder if you have experienced this:

- iOS 4.2.1

- each time I update the apps, all my folders disappear.

- is there a setting that I am not aware off to not have this happen?

Thanks.

2. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Sure they haven't just moved down a couple of pages?

3. atr macrumors regular

I've been running 4.2 since the first GM beta, never had a problem like this.

4. robinlh12 macrumors newbie

Lost folders

It happened to me yesterday on my iPad and twice on my new iPod Touch. However my iPod Touch did not lose its folders yesterday when I updated. I would like to know why this has happened and how to keep it from happening again. Thanks for any help you can give me!

5. Ipadq macrumors member

Folders gone!

Yup, same problem here. Spent an hour organizing and all gone after I did 'update all' in the app store. Even the button bar at the bottom went from 6 to 4. This is on top of the wifi crapping out problem after the installation of the new iOs 4x. Sigh.

Anyone have a clue as to why this might be happening?

6. mom24monsters macrumors newbie

iPad Folders Gone After App Store Updates

My husband hasn't had this problem on his iPad, but I just did. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have the 32 Gig with 3G, and he has the 16 Gig without. I spent hours trying to get it all organized, then I had six updates to do, and it took everything out of the folders I so carefully organized my apps into. My youngest son had it happen on his 4th gen iPod Touch as well, but none of my kids has had it happen on their 3Rd gen iPod Touches. None of us has had it happen on our iPhone 4's either. I was really hoping somebody might know why this is, but it is at least nice to see that I'm not alone!:(

7. Mpenguin macrumors newbie

Yeah I just had that happen right now. Disappearing apps.. I've had a least two or three go missing.. And then I go try to redownload them and it won't let me. I don't understand this. And it makes me really sad. They were really important apps to me!! I hope someone can at least help us out on this.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

If your Apps are disappearing - reset your iPad by holding down the Power + Home button until it shuts off and then let it go. Once booted - sync it with iTunes. Redownload the apps if not already there (iTunes will most likely put them back for you).
    In terms of disappearing folders, chances are that your app moved out to another screen and since the folder is empty it's deleted. I haven't had this problem at all since 4.1 beta 1 came out so not sure what would be causing it.
    Has your iPad been jailbroken?

9. mxyzptik macrumors newbie

I have had EXACTLY same problem ...

... several times in the last few days and, with over 800 apps, wasted over two hours. Will call Apple tomorrow if can't find a solution. (Have a 64gig 3g model.) Maybe I have too many apps.

10. don raheim macrumors newbie

Restoring Application on Your Springboard caused by Disappearing Folders in IOS 4.2.1

Restoring Application on Your Springboard caused by Disappearing Folders in IOS 4.2.1, How To?

Follow this steps:

1. You have to Jailbreak your Ipad/Iphone and Install Cydia.
    2. Find 'Categories' in Cydia and install this application.
    3. Run Categories and go to "Hiddens Icons" then change to 'ON' for each apps icon.Select "respring immediately"
    4. Upon respring ipad will restore all your hidden applications.
    5. Re-create folder.

Additional Note:
    1.You also can install "infinidock" or "infinifolders" from cydia if you want to allow extra app icons in your ipad. Hence will eliminate the need of folder creation in your ipad.
    2.Use categories to create folder...safer....

Thank you.

11. TomTheToolman macrumors newbie

Still happening with iTunes 10.5.2.11

Just happened to me. :mad: Any folder with more than two apps was "defolderized" by iTunes' version of "52 pick-up" - the apps were scattered across pages 5 through 9, and not in any particular order either.

Tom