iPad mini iPad for 14 Year Old. Need Advice with Parental Control Features

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BeK, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeK, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

BeK macrumors regular

BeK

I'm about to purchase a iPad mini for my daughter for school. I would like to create a password (that only I would know) to restrict certain features but I would also like another password (that myself as well as my daughter would know) so as to lock the iPad for added security during school hours.

Does anyone know if this is at all possible.

I would also like to know if texting/iMessages could be tracked and/or disabled.

I plan on allowing her email access but I will also have her email user/password so that I can add her account to my iPhone so that I can track her email progress.

If anyone else has any other advice pertaining to parental controls please don't hesitate to share. Thanks.

UPDATE: Thank you to all who responded in a constructive manner pertaining to the question in my opening statement. I'm all set now as far as parental controls are concerned.

Thanks again!

THREAD SOLVED

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

AFAIK, you can have two separate passcode. So you can have a passcode for the Restriction that only you know.

You can create a lock passcode that you both know (this one should be under passcode).

As for the other, I wouldn't know. sorry

3. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

You can disable iMessage by adding the Restriction that prevents changes to the Accounts on the iPad I believe - no tracking though, completely off or unfiltered.

4. chupachup macrumors 6502

You're going to buy an iPad for your daughter for school but you want to lock it during school hours.

Hehe.

An iPad can be an excellent learning tool. Teachers aren't using technology properly yet, but I would get all kids to use iPads.

You're going to have to give her some freedom if you are going to give her an iPad for learning. Even the teacher can use iMessage for class.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

The lock during school hours is probably a passcode in case the iPad gets lost or stolen.

6. BeK, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

BeK thread starter macrumors regular

BeK

iPad for 14 Year Old. Need Advice with Parental Control Features

Thank you TWO2SEVEN. That's exactly what it's for.

----------

Thank you. Now I just have to figure out how to set them both up independently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried setting different passwords for the lock screen and for restrictions. It didn't
    work. It's seemingly forcing me to use the same pass code for both features.

7. BeK thread starter macrumors regular

BeK

Thanks for your response. I'll look into it.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

That is odd, because I just tried it on my ipod touch and it worked for me. I had a different passcode for both restriction and lock passcode.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

You can disable iMessages, I did they years ago on my daughters iPod Touch along with:
    Not adding apps
    Not letting her buy in app purchase
    Removed safari
    Making it so she couldn't disable or removed Find My friends
    And a few others things.

10. BeK thread starter macrumors regular

BeK

Ok I got the iPad mini and I got the passwords to work independently. Thanks!

11. BeK thread starter macrumors regular

BeK

I was able to figure out how to disable iMessages. Thanks again!

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If you don't want others confusing to contribute now that your issue has been resolved, I recommend going back to your OP and marking it as "Resolved".

13. BeK thread starter macrumors regular

BeK

Thank you to all who responded in a constructive manner pertaining to the question in my opening statement. I'm all set now as far as parental controls are concerned.
    Thanks again!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    The off topic posts have been removed and since the OP has the answers, I'm locking the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.