iPad for a Mac Mini display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eah2119, Jul 11, 2011.

1. eah2119 macrumors regular

Would that work? Mac Mini starts as $700. iPad starts at $500. If you bought both, you would have the cheapest and smallest Mac, a mobile display, and an iPad. It's seems like a pretty good bargain, but would it work?

What I mean is, if connected to the Mac Mini via USB to 30 pin connector, could it be used as a sole display, or maybe an extra display? Of course, you'd have to buy a mouse separately. Perhaps, the iPad's on-screen keyboard could be used.

Has someone developed a configuration like this? Do you think Apple would be interested in integrating this themselves? Is the 30-pin connector cable even capable of transporting all that data?

2. brobert99 macrumors member

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

As far as I'm aware such a setup is not technically possible. Maybe jail breaking the iPad might allow it though. The alternative would be to use an app with accompanying software for the Mac to access it remotely over a wireless connection. The most popular apps for this are LogMeIn Ignition and Splashtop. I use Splashtop and it works well. Of course you can't use a mouse and it would all be touch based.

As I mentioned above the most popular remote access solutions are LogMeIn Ignition and Splashtop.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

But that's not really a remote desktop app. That app extends your monitor to your iPad/iPhone which may be what the OP needs.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

They are remote desk top apps. They allow you to control everything on the computer on the iPad. With Splashtop I can see what I'm doing as well as hear any sound on the iPad. As far as I'm aware that is the closest thing to what the OP is trying to do. You can't use the iPad as an external display which is what I believe the OP is asking.

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's just not true. An 11" MacBook Air is cheaper and lighter. A 13" MacBook Air is lighter and only slightly more expensive. A MacBook is cheaper and only slightly heavier. A 13" MacBook Pro is the same price and only slighter heavier.

I can't imagine any scenario where a mini/iPad combo is a good choice for anyone. I mean, do you really want a desktop computer with a 10" monitor? It's not 1992 anymore.

7. MrWillie, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Air Display

Maybe your running your Mini as a server.

You're a student living in a dorm. You're single, your computing needs are light, and maybe you live in a studio apartment. You mostly use the iPad, the Mini is for ripping CDs and DVDs. You and your spouse both have iPads, and from time to time yall wish to use the Mini.

Finally, haven't you ever done something just because you can?

8. eah2119 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I forgot to mention something very important. I'm not looking for this configuration. I just want to know if it is possible or if Apple was interested in doing it.

iPad is great. It has an unimaginable wide variety of Apps and great games. What iPad doesn't have is the capability to be a computer. It is simply not a tablet computer. It's a mobile device. It's like an extension to a smart phone. It doesn't have the advanced features like a computer does and it isn't more open to user configuration like a computer is. A Mac, however, has things like a command prompt, a filing system accessible to the user, much more advanced apps like video editors, photo editors, and developer tools. What Mac doesn't have, is the entertainment and simple user interface of the iPad.

For somebody on a tight budget, a Mac-iPad configuration would work. Maybe they need a Mac and an iPad to do their business. Maybe they need an extra display. What I'm basically talking about is extending the iPad's function to become a display for a computer. Maybe Apple's not willing to do it. After all, they have to follow their fans. Critics might say Apple is wasting their time on useless technology. I guess it depends on how many people would actually use it.

The only downside I see is that the iPad's screen is too small. But hell, if it's a tablet computer, why not make it a tablet computer!! If they can't fit the large processing power required for a computer into an iPad, make it a computer's display.

And plus, it would have to be smooth. It couldn't be choppy over the wireless or wired connection or it wouldn't be an efficient display.

Sorry I wrote too much. I don't use terminal and I don't develop apps. I just think this would be a great addition to Apple's great technology.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

As compact as the Mac Mini is it really isn't intended to function as any kind of portable computing device. You can buy a 20" (or 22" or 23") LCD display for under $150 which is infinitely more useful than an iPad-sized display for "real computer" use. The Mac Mini is not meant to be dragged around and the iPad is not especially useful as a tiny computer display (I use LogMeIn on occasion and while useful for those purposes it would make me crazy to work on it for any extended period of time).

The netbook displays come closest to the iPad's size and while people use them, it's understood that there's a compromise involved in exchange for portability. Why spend good money on a Mac Mini and then use it with a 10" display? It's just not practical (or sensible).

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Server.

11. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Good point. Its one of the Minis more popular uses. When you see Minis used as servers its common to find them screenless and managed remotely from other machines

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You just got awesomeness points. Always do stuff because you can, especially with Technology.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

Sure, Apple's hoping to court the 10 people who somehow have need for a server, can afford an iPad but don't have a monitor lying around or in their budget.

14. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

It's not about cost, it's about space. Monitors take up space. Sure there are better ways of managing a server than using an iPad. But for a small business running a file sever and accounting software server, if you allready have an iPad and not IT savey, its perfect. Of course ours runs Win Server 2008, so it's a moot point. Also the wife is constantly telling me to come see this and that on our iMac. Very convieniant to stay on the couch and hook up as a second display. (In all honesty, I just say "Yes dear", and I go and see.) If AirDisplay was a 99 cent app or part of iOS, I believe more people would find uses for it as a second monitor.

On a less serious note, the best reason is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBshQVi5SFo&feature=related

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's still a niche market. The iPad is not a Swiss-army-knife of computing. It does what it does well, but there's plenty it won't (and doesn't need to) do. I have Air Display and very rarely use it, it's more gimmicky than practical. LogMeIn is useful, but also not something I'd use for more than a few minutes at a time.