Ipad for Backpacking

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jordanh6, May 3, 2011.

1. jordanh6 macrumors newbie

I am going on a trip to Australia for 8 months and am trying to decide what device I should bring. I will most likely be staying in hostels or living out of my car. I already have an older macbook, but am thinking of leaving it at home and buying either an iPad or iPod touch or iPhone for increased battery life as well as portability. Any opinions on which one is more useful for traveling?

I like the portability of the iPod touch or iPhone, but trying to do all of my emailing, photo uploading on the small screen might get annoying, hence the iPad option with decreased portability.

Thoughts?

2. sasessiontc macrumors member

Having both I'd definitely say go with the iPad. It will provide you with all of the necessary functions needed and more. The touch's screen is simply not big enough to replace the need for a laptop, and an iPad may not be either, but I think it should do the job for you. Get it!

3. phsdrumguy macrumors newbie

+1. And if you like to read like me when you backpack, the iPad is the thing to get as long as you have the space for it.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

5. megsandbytes macrumors member

very clever and useful product, would go well bundled with survival kits

6. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

It all depends on how active you'll be.

As an avid hiker/climber, three of us (out of seven) have experienced cracked displays while out with ours. Packed very carefully in well padded cases within our backpacks, we're quite surprised.

Obviously this is not a scientific test, yet it is worth being aware of. Not to be detoured, I'm going to pack my replacement a bit differently for our upcoming climb.