iPad for Band Directors/Teachers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Apple Guy3, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Apple Guy3 macrumors newbie

I am a band director in high school and middle school, who is looking into buying an iPad to use to help with teaching.

The band I teach doesn't have a ton of money, so I just want to make sure this will not just be an expensive toy, or will I really be able to utilize it. I have never used one before, and are not really familiar with any apps to use either.

Any information will be a big help, and be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

I'm a working musician and use my iPad regularly as a score reader. It's really quite good but notating a score is quite difficult. Still, with the right apps it's easy just to circle or highlight a passage.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    There are 5,844 apps in the music section of the App Store. You could always visit the store, read about them (and the feedback), and begin developing ways to use them in your classes.

As an aside, my niece is an oboe player and her tuner died last week, a few days before our state district band festival. She has an iPod Touch and downloaded a tuner, which she says is better than the one she had.

The iPad most certainly will not be an expensive toy. It is a wonderful educational tool.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

I know this is not really what you were looking for but I had a neat idea for a music app.

Since the iPad has a microphone, it would be neat if the iPad would show the sheet music but while doing so the iPad would listen to the music being played and automatically scroll or flip the pages of the sheet music. Also while listening to the music being played the iPad detected a wrong note it would mark it on the sheet music to be reviews later.

I am not sure if this already exists for the iPad or if it is even possible. I don't play a musical instrument but for some reason always thought this would be a very neat app for those that do.

5. Apple Guy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get one. Oh darn, one more apple product