Ipad for college students

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lc117, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Lc117 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

What would your advice me for a college student (me) who is looking to obtain a device to use for college use?

I would use it mainly for (light/moderate) reading, (light) writing, and browsing of course. I am considering the Ipad for its quick and essay access to documents and text. I already have a laptop at home, but would never bring it to campus just to type and read on it (too heavy and would need a desk in order to use it[hassle]).

I'm not looking to replace my laptop, but I would like it for its quick access documents for assignments and being able to finish/work on them up wherever/whenever I please. As well as taking lecture notes.

I am still on the fence about buying one (1st gen. 3G from AT-T) and any feedback or opinions on this is greatly appreciated.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

For school you'd probably want a keyboard, the MBA 11" is probably a better choice. My daughter is in University and almost everybody uses a MBP for class.

3. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I think that it would serve your needs well. I bring my iPad with me to campus everyday for exactly the things you mentioned. As long as you have a laptop for the major things that need to get done I think you'll be fine!

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I use my iPad in class all the time. Works great for lectures.

5. Maaz macrumors 6502a

I use it everyday for college and it's perfect. Especially how thin it is to carry around campus.

6. Lc117 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've thought about it, but having 2 laptops (1 for home, 1 for school) is a bit of a waste in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, if I could (budget), I would get an MBA/MBP in a hearbeat.

Budget issues aside, my laptop is around 1 year old, so its still got a while before I'll upgrade it.

The portability, and (hopefully) quick adjustment to an on-screen keyboard, (somewhat) low price is what makes me consider an Ipad.

7. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

For me, buying the iPad wasn't a great investment. I wanted to take notes with it and there isn't a single app out there that can emulate the outlining available in Word. I like my notes to be very hierarchical so for example:

I.
    A.
    1)

Normally, I would press return/enter twice to go back to the previous indention, but it's way too cumbersome on Pages, Evernote, etc. So, if you are like me, I would not recommend buying notes if note taking is a priority for me.

Other than that, the iPad is useful for reading pdfs and whatnot, but mines mostly sits on my desk collecting dust.

Thanks afireintonto.

8. Lc117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

For a few upcoming days I will actively analyze how my day/schedule would change if I had an Ipad as well if I really would benefit from having one and not just for its looks. Then from there decide if it truly will be worth the money to buy one.

If anyone else has more input on my question, feel free to keep posting. Additional information/suggestions is always welcomed.

9. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I've said it before, but my iPad is almost irreplaceable when it comes to getting things done at grad school. I use it for taking notes, looking things up quickly during class, and of course for reading and highlighting the plethora of PDF articles that I need to read (and I can do this anywhere and everywhere). I bought several eTextbooks to read on the iPad, which saved me a few bucks and saved me from lugging heavy books to and from campus.

And perhaps more importantly, it is great for killing some time during those inevitable, boring lectures. Get it dude- you won't regret it.

10. zenio macrumors 6502

I used my iPad for a week or so before it was reduced to a web device only. It just doesnt do anything else very well.

An 11" MBA would be a much better value, one that would be so much more useful.

11. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I agree. I would love to have both a mbp and mba, but that would be way too expensive for me. You could do so much information creation than on the iPad, effectively that is. I would sell this iPad, but since I already have it, it serves as a nice and quick web browser.

OP, I would recommend buying one and returning it within 14 days if you don't like it since Apple did away with their restocking fee.

12. danielveeee macrumors regular

i had an ipad and im a freshman in college...
    honestly i find an ipad pretty much useless in terms of productivity at school.
    most school related website need flash for hw, and you cant download stuff off blackboard..

but if ur class has a lot of pdfs, it might be nice to have those on there.

but in the end, dont waste your time with an ipad for school, get a mba, thats what i did.. so much more productive.. i never took my ipad out, id rather pull iphone out.

at home though the ipad is irreplaceable. best device ever

13. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Seems like you are looking for a netbook rather than an ipad. I think that you will be sorry that you don't have a real keyboard and a full operating system.

14. Lc117, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011

Lc117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately with the AT-T promotional sales of the iPad Wifi+3g (one I'm interested in) there are no refunds/exchange for them.
    That's why I want to make sure it's right for me, but to know that I would have to test it out for a bit. Quite the conundrum...

To be fair, I'm not going to be making powerpoints, or super long papers on it.

Mostly for typing in Google Docs so I can fully edit at home/library and print it there or making small documents. Mostly doing work during downtime at school.

But you do have a point about the keyboard part and the no-downloading-from-BlackBoard is a big negative in my decision-making. Thanks.

15. jsan1 macrumors member

hello there! hopefully i can be of some assistance, as i currently have a mba 13" and an ipad 2.

i use my mba for days when i have to take lots of notes (art history, philosophy, etc), although if you're adept at the on screen keyboard you should be fine with notetaking on the ipad 2. really depends on what you're studying, what courses you're taking, etc. so think about it. if it fits what you plan to do, you can't go wrong.

as far as reading pdf's and ebooks, it's an incredible little machine. i love carrying it around on days when i just really have to read a decent sized pdf or a few chapters from a textbook or novel. my mba doesn't do as good a job for that type of stuff at all. it's light, but even compared to an ipad, it can't compete (2 lbs versus 1...makes a big difference) surfing the web is great on the ipad, which is good when you don't have to do much more than that.

when doing heavy math, writing papers, doing excel (i'm a business major) you need a laptop. plain and simple. and ipad is ideal for lighter work like reading, notetaking and such. it hasn't reached the level of heavy computing like you have in a laptop. my air perfectly complements the ipad (some might call it overkill) but if you're in the right situation you can't go wrong. plus, the ipad has games which can kill time in boring classes :D hopefully this helps, let me know if you need more info!

16. Lc117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch for a detailed explanation of the pros/cons about the iPad.

I'm still in the process of evaluating if my demands of school are suited for an iPad or if I'm just trying to justify myself to splurging on a new and hot item.

Since it will be casual-moderate typing(notes and such) and reading, I feel that being able to utilize my downtime (waiting in the halls, hanging in social places, not wanting to go into a stuffy basement to use the computers, and not having to worry about getting a spot before they're all filled up (since with iPad, almost any place is a good spot to use your ipad). These reasons alone would make me want to get one. I know in the end it'll will totally up to me whether I get it or not, but just reading what others have to say, puts it into perspective.

17. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

Try the app Outliner
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/outliner-for-ipad/id360659928?mt=8

18. Windows macrumors member

Windows

If you decide on buying, make sure you buy the app InClass.. I've bought multiple note taking apps worth 1 to 5 dollars and InClass is by far the best of them all, plus it's free.

That app alone plus maybe a few others would make me buy an iPad. :apple: