iPad for college use

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacGenius1211, Feb 23, 2011.

1. MacGenius1211 macrumors newbie

Im a Wifi Network Engineer Major, Ive been carrying my MacBook back and forth to class for the last 3 years. Starting the fall term our school is going to offer all our books in ePub format at alot cheaper cost then buying the actual book. All I use my MacBook in class is for basic word processing, web browsing, logging on to the lab access points, and a few other little things. Im not worried about an iPad 2, I dont need a front facing camera or anything like that since I have my iPhone 4, I just want something light I can throw in my bag and go to class. Any idea how much the price will drop on the 1st gen iPad after the iPad 2 comes out

How many of you guys use your iPad for college??

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Whatever you do, DON'T search on iPads for university use on this forum because the answers couldn't possibly apply to college use.

As to what the original iPads will be worth on the resale market when the next iPad is released, check ebay. On the retail market -- there won't be any.

3. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I use mine, but I keep my laptop in my bag. During a lecture, I prefer to use it for taking notes (I never have to plug in, or boot up, etc.), also I prefer it for my eBooks (my university uses the CourseSmart service for books, which has an app that works pretty well. Unfortunately, it's a service that only works on one device, and streams over the internet and won't download anything. But that's my school's choice not mine, it would work even better with ePub). Now, I have found I really don't like the mobile version of pages (but it will be much better on the next iPad, it just seems like the iPad doesn't have the horsepower for word processing, etc. But there are alot of great note apps.

I also keep my calendar and tasks synced using Google, so it's nice to flip over and add an assignment or test date or something to my calendar on my iPad, and my iPhone can remind me.

In fact, I have a break between a class that gets out at 10:30 and a class that starts at 11:30, so I usually go get a cup of Coffee, and use my iPad to study, or even just read the paper or something.

It has NOT replaced my PC for school purposes, but it has been a fantastic portable device. It's always out during class, usually I only use my laptop when I need to work on a paper or something. The only reason I bring it is to work on papers and things in between classes. I still feel like the iPad 2 could do that for me as well, it'll have more power I'm sure. Pages is a full featured word processor for most purposes, but it is just too sluggish for me to be productive (also, no shortcut keys!).

BTW, I would recommend a bluetooth keyboard, it makes note taking nice. And turn off auto correct! It makes note taking not so nice.

4. Poop Boy macrumors newbie

I'm in my college library right now on my iPad. It's so much more sensible to carry around than a large laptop.

5. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I've seen maybe 1 iPad at my university in lecture. They just aren't practical for taking notes

6. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

iPad for college? Lol, not a chance for me. I love using my 13" MBP, I don't think any iPad can replace the power of a laptop.
    I've seen a few people with iPads, but god it's so ergonomically bad.
    I don't see any point of having an iPad and a laptop at all.

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

For studying I can see the iPad doing well - reviewing notes, reading a textbook, etc. For taking notes in class the iPad holds nothing to a laptop. Sure you could use a wireless bluetooth keyboard or the keyboard dock, but that would just be ridiculous compared to just opening a laptop and launching Word.

8. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I own a 15" MBP and an iPad, and have never taken the iPad to class. First off, I don't need people staring at me during class, as the novelty of owning one still exists. I don't want to show it off. It would be "fine" for note-taking, but not as easy as the MBP. When professors are spewing out facts, dates, and announcements, it's hard to jot it down on an iPad. Not to mention switching between apps for Safari/notes/e-mail.

It's a great device, and great to read textbooks on...but it just doesn't perform that well as a note-taking device in class.

9. mattk3650 macrumors member

If you want an honest reccomendation instead of a bunch of bull **** then here:

Wait until the iPad 2 and buy a refurb iPad 1

10. Poop Boy macrumors newbie

100% exactly what I did.

11. kaiak macrumors member

This is one of the main reasons why I bought my iPad.

I did use it a few times during lecture, but it didn't really do a sufficient job until I got the keyboard dock, but now it's just a hassle to carry around. I never bring my laptop to class with me unless I need to do any major computing in the library or something.

If you do decide to go this route, I would seriously recommend getting the iStudiez Pro app. You can put in your class schedule and add exams, projects and assignments and everything, and sync with your iPhone. Very helpful. :)

12. mkw5053 macrumors newbie

I love using my iPad at school (Electrical Engineering major). Not only is it so much smaller then my MBP, it's a great way to waste time in boring classes.

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

LOL...funny.

I don't think that's what he's looking for (resale value). He's actually looking for an approximate price on the original iPad once iPadv2 is released...and yeah, that's retail, and yeah, there will probably be a drop.

OP, no one will know the answer to your question...it's impossible to guess how Apple will price the original iPad, and in the future no less. (!!! WTF type question was that, anyways???)

14. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Mac portables aren't exactly large, IMO. In fact, the OP stated that he's done it for 3 yrs...what's another year of carrying 4-5 lb daily in a bag that's probably flung over the shoulder?

An iPad may be 'more sensible to carry around', but it won't do certain things well, either...not compared to a laptop. Those certain things have been hashed in these forums many, many times, so we won't cover that.

15. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's what I'm doing, trading in my blackbook for a refurb or used iPad 1... unless the iPad 2 is unexpectedly amazing.

And I'll be using it for college too. I do pretty much only word processing and note-taking on the go so I figure it should be fine for that, I've got an iMac for my serious computing.

16. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Quite a lot of people I know use iPads all the time in lectures, for me I need a real keyboard for taking notes and that sort of stuff.

It's just personal preference, if you get on with the touch keyboard it will be a great device, if not then probably wont be that useful.

17. jeffkempster macrumors member

Don't listen to this. Obviously they never really used it.

I would be lost without my ipad in school. I take notes using the app Note Taker HD and a stylus. Works just as good as paper, except you can erase, change colors, line thicknesses, etc. Try that on a notepad. And you can export to PDF to send to other people. That is just one app for taking notes. I have attached a pdf of a couple pages of notes.

I also will keep my schedule and homework in the calendar. Surf the university's website for powerpoints, syllabus, etc. I read a book for history class using the kindle app. I keep all my PDFs in iBooks for easy studying.

You can use the Pages (Word) app to write a paper. Depending on length you may want to add a bluetooth keyboard. This is really an opinion, but for longer documents I will use the mac.

The last thing I will mention is dropbox. Being able to access all my documents in dropbox from the iPad is killer for college students. I don't even bother carrying a flash drive anymore.

Ok, one more thing. I am a geoscience major and have many apps on the ipad like tomtom, maps, arcGIS, Google Earth, The World HD that are very helpful for my degree.

Attached Files:

18. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Not only that but with PDF Expert 2.2 you can edit pdf files, annotate and even fill out forms like your job or internship applications, etc. All on the pad:
    http://appmodo.com/46024/pdf-expert-2-2-one-more-reason-to-replace-a-laptop-with-the-ipad/

So if you combine these apps the ipad becomes the ultimate pdf system better than even pc imo aince pc there is no touch screen or stylus.

19. cloakedpegasus macrumors member

I have an ipad and i thought about using it for college. However the ipad is horrible for taking notes compared to pen and paper especially for my math and physics classes. As far as ebooks go, it's hit or miss for my classes as to whether or not an ebook is available and if it is drm requires me to have a solid internet connection (usually not a problem). I tried learning to type on the ipad and honestly it's pretty bad compared to a physical keyboard, so if you find yourself needing to type something quickly a physical keyboard accessory will help. For notes i found that the best way for me is Livescribe, pen and paper with the option to download audio and vector drawing/text to my mbp. I hope you find something that fits your needs well. Btw, buying a second hand ipad should net you under 400 otherwise i'd feel ripped off since they were going for 400 brand new black friday. Try craigslist.

20. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

what if you used something like that zagg laptop case and then the pages app

21. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

So basically I'm better off buying a new vs the iPad 2? I really only planned on using it for word processing and the. Transferring it over to my PC.

22. forcetactic, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

forcetactic macrumors 6502

The whole point of taking notes on a computer is so you can write it faster and more organized than on a notepad. What you're describing here is using a stylus vs traditional note taking which are both slower than taking notes via laptop (if we're talking about a class with just lecture, rarely any diagrams).

If we're talking about a class with lots of diagrams like ochem, hard copy notes > e-notes. There's a reason why a majority of people prefer hard traditional textbooks to ebooks. There's also a reason why you don't see many iPads in lectures

I personally take notes via hand because I find it easier to flip between pages and keep track of where I am. Even in classes without diagrams, I take notes via hand. Regardless in those types of classes, there is no way an iPad will be more practical over a laptop for taking notes

23. Poisoned1 macrumors member

Use mine all the time

Mentioned before, the notetaker app and a stylus works great. I don't use it for my math or electrical engineering courses mainly because it takes me some time to draw the diagram neatly (neat freak). I do use it for some of my labs where I will use the notetaker app to draw diagrams (let's say a circuit of some sort) then write out my calculations on the same page as well. Then, I can save it and email to whomever and print it out. To me it looks better than someone who tried drawing there's and writing out the calculations on paper. I also use it for getting on the school website for information and keep documents on my iPad as well. I currently own a HP 18" laptop which I hate carrying around so it stays at home as my main computer.

24. jeffkempster macrumors member

This is exactly why I use an iPad vs. a paper notebook. It's faster for me. It was slower at first but now I believe I'm much faster. I'm kind of a neat freak also, so I will usually go back after class and clean things up, add some colors or formatting that I couldn't easily do in class.

The idea that all my notes are with me all the time vs being locked up in several notebooks is one of the best features. Makes for studying when I have time much easier.