iPad for Dad for Christmas UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acearchie, Oct 25, 2010.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Hi guys,

I know all of the models of the iPad but I was wondering whether you guys could help me out on which model you think that my Mum and I should share buying him?

He has a 2 year old iMac upstairs in his office and the iPad would be good for browsing the internet and using apps in the kitchen where there is a nice sofa that he can sit back on!

My main questions are:

1. Would 16gb be good enough? How are you guys filling up your iPads?
    2. How far away do we see iPad Rev. B and what features would be worth the wait?
    3. Does anyone know of any deals in the UK that would guarentee the best deal or price for the iPad?

Thanks very much!

2. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Hi there,

Great idea for a Christmas present.

I have a 32 GB wi-fi iPad, and I think that it's a pretty good balance between the price and storage space. However, I do think that the 16 GB model is definitely great.

For home usage with a household wi-fi network, the 3G version is unnecessary (to state the obvious!), but if it really will be a 'pick up around the house' for various tasks - the wi-fi will be perfect.
    As for filling up the iPad - i almost went with the 16 GB so I could see how the platform was, and then upgrade later. However, there are more apps using large data sets (interactive magazines etc.) than i initially imagined, so the extra space is turning out to be useful.
    It's also nice to be able to store some movies & TV shows, as well as some music on it.
    Extra space will also allow you to not worry about making space for downloading extra content from the iTunes & App stores.

The inevitable slimming and weight reduction Apple usually take to their industrial design will make the iPad even more appealing, but they are not factors that cause any problems with the current model - it's pretty perfect as it is right now.
    I think a FaceTime camera will make the iPad feel 'feature complete' but that's only because some form of face-recognition camera was rumoured before launch but didn't materialize in the finalised tablet.

As for deals in the UK: you should look out for special deals in places like PC World in the national press, then buy from a John Lewis store for their customer service and after sales care. Or, buy direct from Apple. You may even be able to get a reasonable discount from buying at an electrical store at an airport.

Hope this is of some help.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for the helpful post. Isn't the after sales care through John Lewis the same as Apple? I can only see a 1 year guarantee, without paying extra, from both!