Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

born2swim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
So, I was thinking about getting the iPad 3 when it is released sometime this spring. I will be buying it myself (I'm 14) and I will use it for 8th grade (I know I said high school, but I'm in a special advanced program at my school where I will be taking high school courses, it's just that they didn't have space at any of the severely overcrowded high schools for us to go). I was worried at the price at first, but nevertheless, I've decided to get the iPad. I have some questions first-

1. What size would you recommend that I get? (I have about 100 apps and 15 GB of other things (music, etc.) that I like to keep on it too).
2. What is the best word processing app(s) to get? Are pages/keynote/numbers the best ones?
3. What kind of case should I get? I was thinking about maybe getting the SmartCover (if they have it with the newer generation, which I think they would) and then possibly getting a silicone case to cover the back of it (like a GelaSkin or http://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-Rubberi...8M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1330539927&sr=8-15 )
4. What are the best apps to get? And which of those are free?
5. Is the iPad a good investment for this use? I can use it for several years to come, as long as I get a good case to protect it with.

edit: I already have a MacbookPro and an iPhone 4S...

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
So, I was thinking about getting the iPad 3 when it is released sometime this spring. I will be buying it myself (I'm 14) and I will use it for 8th grade (I know I said high school, but I'm in a special advanced program at my school where I will be taking high school courses, it's just that they didn't have space at any of the severely overcrowded high schools for us to go). I was worried at the price at first, but nevertheless, I've decided to get the iPad. I have some questions first-

1. What size would you recommend that I get? (I have about 100 apps and 15 GB of other things (music, etc.) that I like to keep on it too).
2. What is the best word processing app(s) to get? Are pages/keynote/numbers the best ones?
3. What kind of case should I get? I was thinking about maybe getting the SmartCover (if they have it with the newer generation, which I think they would) and then possibly getting a silicone case to cover the back of it (like a GelaSkin or http://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-Rubberi...8M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1330539927&sr=8-15 )
4. What are the best apps to get? And which of those are free?
5. Is the iPad a good investment for this use? I can use it for several years to come, as long as I get a good case to protect it with.
Per thread title, it's not viable unless your school and teachers are pushing it 100%.

The best way to use iPad in a learning environment seems to be to have text/notes/resources on iPad in replace of books, and then paper/pen notepads for recording notes and sessions, doing work, scratch pad, etc.

If your school doesn't support digital text books, and your teachers aren't on the digital game... then you have books, your notepad, and this iPad toy on the side... and will be a distraction and a hindrance IMHO.

1. Sounds like you know what stuff you want to put on it, do math :)
2. Probably, check out appadvice.com
3. personal opinion, look around
4. personal opinion, appshopper.com, appadvice.com
5. Technology (computers, mobile devices, vehicles) are never a good investment, in 12months a sequel will be launched. In 24-36mo it will feel obsolete. That may seem like a long time to you at this stage of your life, but it really isn't.

edit: your pretty close to car driving age, I'd save, they aren't cheap.

LaurenAJb

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
I'm getting an iPad for about the same purpose.. I am in high school (year 8, victoria, australia) I was thinking a 64gb..? I have some apps I want to get for school work, writing etc.:D

Signor S.

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
1. 64 GB, for over 100 apps and 15 GB of other stuff you will definitely want to future proof your iPad so I would go for the 64.

2. The best word processing apps, in my opinion, are what you already mentioned (pages, keynote, numbers). I can't vouch for the app DocumentsToGo, and as of yet, Microsoft has not released its popular Office suite for the iPad, so you're better off with going with Pages, Keynote, and Numbers especially for school work.

3. If you're really looking into a case (especially for typing notes and papers) see what Zagg has to offer when the iPad 3 comes out. Right now their ZaggFolio Case is amazing for the iPad 2, but you'll want to see if they will make a new case for the 3. If you're more content with the Smart Cover than go for it (although I would definitely recommend an accompanying bluetooth keyboard to go with it like the Apple Wireless Keyboard).

4. If you're looking for games go to the website toucharcade.com, if you're looking for more productive apps I would go to the sites mentioned by Menel otherwise just Google productivity apps or education apps for iPad.

5. As soon as you buy the iPad 3 it will be outdated. This is how technology is, buy it and be happy with your new device.

Nightprowler

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
In my opinion it's all in how you work.

In university where you are getting power point presentations before class and can have the thing out on your desk recording the lecture or making annotations on the presentations during the class, on campus all hours, or at various peoples residences or library etc working on projects, then a portable device with long battery life is a must have.

In high school where I'm assuming you would not be allowed to have it out during the class, there are better options for you. If I'm wrong in that, then maybe this is a good choice.

Not saying don't get one, just saying that it might not be the correct tool for high school.

Emoo

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Texas
It seems more like a pretty toy than an actual tool if you've already got a laptop and your teachers aren't using digital textbooks. Like as not, if you haven't got digital textbooks you won't be allowed to use it during class anyway.

iPads are nifty toys and can be great for school, but I'm not sure that it's the best device for a high school student.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

A laptop would be a better choice unless your school is supporting iPads. Laptop is better for typing, easier to print, and more storage.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
lots of opinions out there ranging from vehemently opposition to pollyannish adoration. it all depends on you. if it were me, there is no way i would pass up the chance to use an ipad in an educational environment.

1. apps
there are lots of them out there for high school students. here are a few:
http://palmbeachschooltalk.com/groups/ipadpilot/wiki/70925/

2. textbooks
if you cannot find them, scan them into pdf form yourself (that's what i do).

3. cases
that's up to you and your environment. i am very careful with my stuff, and i am not in an environment where someone might, for example, toss my bag into the toilet (yes, that happened to me). the smart cover is best thought of as a scratch protector. i personally like it a lot, and use it in combination with a super thin belkin hard case on the back.

4. worth it?
i'd get the ipad 2 if i were you, because it is a steal right now, but that depends on lots of factors, including your family's wealth.

5. apps for productivity?
docs to go is popular. i have pages, numbers, and keynote. but, i tend to actually use a text editor (elements) along with evernote and pretty much only do word processing when i have completed a project and i am ready to format it.

gigemzach

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
An iPad can be very useful in a school setting as long as it is used correctly. The first thing I would look at is your internet connection. At my school the wifi is protected thus students are not able to connect. For this purpose I got a 3G iPad so that I can always have internet. The iPad can be a good study buddy as long as you don't find yourself being distracted by Temple Run or something of that nature. Our school is littered with iPads and Kindles but only certain kids actually use them as a resource for school. Overall I am trying to say is only buy an iPad if it is not going to be a distraction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.