iPad for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Christopher387A, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I have someone interested in trading me a 32GB iPad 3G for my 2010 MacBook Pro base model. The laptop is only a month old and in perfect condition, and the iPad is in great condition and includes the Apple case. He's offering me the iPad + $300 for the MacBook... Does that sound reasonable or low? I know both devices are due for an update any time, but I wasn't sure what the going rate for an iPad is these days. Any input is appreciated. :)

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It sounds like the totals add up to about the same, I think you'd be getting a bit over $100 less for your MBP than you paid for it, which isn't bad.

One thing is that I feel like gen 1 iPad prices will fall a lot faster than 2010 MBP prices will when the updates come out.

Also, do you have another computer? I wouldn't trade your only computer for an iPad. :)

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

I wouldn't do that especially when new iPad is coming out in April. You can get much better value if you trade the same in April. Also I feel its not worth trading MBP for an iPad...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you have another computer to use? While the iPad is great, it cannot replace the functionality of a laptop.

Personally, I'd not do the trade if that meant giving up my only computer. Plus while I like my iPad, I could think of giving up my MBP :)

5. mcfadyen macrumors regular

I traded my iPad for a late 2009 model iMac last month, anticipating that the prices for used iPads would plummet when the new models came out, and I think I got the better end of the deal. I expect the laptop is and will be worth more to you once the new models are announced.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Is this the base 13 or 15? I assume a 13 if you're even considering this. I personally would not trade a MBP for a used iPad 1. There will be a ton of these available for much less after the iPad 2 comes out for verizon and AT&T.

Cheers,

7. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

Yeah it's the base 13 MBP. I do have another laptop, but it's an HP that's on it's last leg. The battery is shot so it must be plugged in at all times, and when you wiggle the cord it will mysteriously shut off because it won't be connected. :rolleyes: So in that regard, I'm hesitant to get rid of the MBP, I was just considering the iPad because the only thing I really *need* the computer for right now is just web surfing and the portability factor as I can do my homework and stuff on the HP at a desk if needed.

I'm really looking for a MBA and thought the iPad may be 2nd best, but was just afraid of the prices plummeting once the new one comes out. It looks like they have already dropped substantially. Thanks for the input!

8. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I would keep the laptop and purchase the 2nd generation iPad.

9. elan123 macrumors 6502

lol.. that wasn't a choice

10. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Someone needs glasses.

11. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

How about for a BNIB 64GB 3G + wifi + $75 for the MBP? Is that reasonable? I know, same argument applies since it's a computer for an iPad, but I'm trying to think of portability since I don't really do anything productive on this computer and everything I do for school is on my HP (only because we have mandated laptops that we have to buy).

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would wait until the new iPads come out. Then you might be able to make a trade (or sell your MBP and then buy new) a second-gen iPad, or you could get a first-gen iPad for less.

13. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I would still keep the MBP, as already mentioned, first gen iPad prices are going to drop when the new one comes out, people are already dumping their iPad's in anticipation of the second gen models that haven't even been announced yet. MBP's tend to keep their value longer so I would not do this trade, even if they added $200 to the deal, but that's just me.

14. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

i would run away from that deal... hed need to throw in 600 to make it worth it.

15. bossxii macrumors 68000

Considering I can buy that same iPad on Craigslist for 500 to 600 bucks all day long, I'd pass. Base 13" Unibody MBP's sell for min 800 if they are despreate. Normally 900 to 1000+ in my area. Also as others have stated, once the iPad 2 is announced and spec's + pricing comes out, you can kiss another 20% or so of the iPad's price to magically poof into thin air. MBP's will hold their value much better imo. I'd hang on to it for a better deal.

16. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

i agree