Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCL

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
I'm considering getting an iPad to make myself more mobile.

I am a starting out web designer and do not have he budget for a MacBook pro or 13 air. I do use photoshop and hand code my websites but I am not heavy into graphic design.

I am hoping an iPad would allow me to go outside and work in public areas.

Are the wire framing apps any good?
Does a notepad or coda type app exist?

Or

Should I just keep dreaming about being able to work outside until I can afford an actual laptop?

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Should I just keep dreaming about being able to work outside until I can afford an actual laptop?

honestly? from what you've been describing, this. my opinion only. i'm thinking you'll want more screen real extate to the one the ipad offers as a web designer. to use an ipad like a laptop out in the wild, you'd need to be able to prop it up properly, and possibly get a keyboard too, meaning extra expense.

or how about a second hand mac laptop? imo even an older model would provide what you're looking for over the ipad. maybe im just projecting, but the thought of using most proffessional utility apps on an ipad makes me cringe.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I think some people are trying to make the iPad into something it is not. In this case, it is not realistically suitable for your needs. You will feel limited in so many aspects (screen real estate, typing, available applications, and more).

Definitely save for a refurbished MacBook or something like that.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Check out an app called Codea.

That said, in general for any serious effort at development I would have to recommend at least the 11" Air. And trust me, given my overall pov on these matters (see my signature...) this is a somewhat painful recommendation!

As an aside, if you're able, borrow a friend's iPad, spend $10 on Codea and poke around to see what other apps you can find, and use it for a day or two (assuming your friend will let you!)

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I'm considering getting an iPad to make myself more mobile.

I am a starting out web designer and do not have he budget for a MacBook pro or 13 air. I do use photoshop and hand code my websites but I am not heavy into graphic design.

I am hoping an iPad would allow me to go outside and work in public areas.

Are the wire framing apps any good?
Does a notepad or coda type app exist?

Or

Just save up $500 more and get a 13" MBP $1000. You won't regret it.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
We used to run all of our stuff at my old job on Linux servers and we were able to access them on iPads somehow (I don't remember what we were using--that was awhile ago). But I personally wasn't doing any developing or anything like that.

I have created all kinds of cool stuff on my iPad, but I haven't heard from many people doing any serious coding.

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
The iPad is a great tablet, but IMO, it's not a laptop replacement (yet. Who knows in the future?). I love my iPad, but there are things that I still need my MB for and I'm quite happy that way. The iPad definitely allows me more flexibility and I'm using it as my primary device during an upcoming travel/career trip, but I'll primarily be doing light word processing/freelance writing. For anything more than sketching and pre-fab blog-type things, I'd say you're better off waiting till you can afford a laptop. The 13" MBP is a fantastic machine and is swiftly becoming a consumer-price computer. By the time you afford an iPad with a decent amount of storage, you're halfway to the MBP. I'd suggest saving your pennies for just a bit longer. Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.