iPad for music production

Discussion in 'iPad' started by choirboy, Feb 18, 2012.

1. choirboy macrumors newbie

New forum member here, but a long-time Mac user.

I'm a musician, and a few years integrated an outdated but still perfectly useful iBook into my electronics rig for live work. It has its limitations, but I'm sold on the concept of using such a thing in a live, improvising context. I've been checking out YouTube clips of various music-making / processing apps for the iPad and am quite impressed. Being a cheap / resourceful guy I'm looking to buy an iPad2 at a cheaper price once the 3 comes out.

Are there any other music-types here using the iPad for live work?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

I've used my iPad running Garageband hooked up to my digital piano on gigs for new sounds. The interface is good, and although it's a bit of overkill for a decent organ sound, it works and looks good too...!

3. choirboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've heard that the iOS version of GB is very good. What are you using for your input connection, just a basic midi interface or something fancier? Alesis has their dock and now Behringer and Tascam are making similar units.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

I was just using the USB out from my Roland piano into the camera connection kit. It worked fine.

5. M87 macrumors 65816

I'm not a professional, but I do love to make music. I have always been drawn to the most portable solution and the iPad is it for me along with Apogee's two products, MiC and Jam. The iPad screen is big enough that I don't find a midi controller necessary (I'm primarily a guitarist), though I am interested in Line 6's new midi keyboards that work with iPhone, iPad and Macs. A laptop is far more powerful, no question, but I prefer the iPad's interface and even compared to a laptop the iPad is much more "mobile". Though I love it personally, I think right now to rely solely on an iPad is a little extreme for most people.