iPad for my parents

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WhySoSerious, Jun 15, 2011.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I would like to get my parents an iPad and I have a few questions for those of you who, most likely, know the answers:

1. If I give them an iPad pre-IOS 5, will I have to set it up on my itunes account/mac before giving it to them? They don't own a computer, so the iPad would be their only "computer".

2. Pre-IOS 5, will my parents have to set up a yahoo/gmail email address or can they set up a MobileMe email address? I want them to have an Apple email account, but I'm confused since MM is dead and iCloud isn't actually out yet. So how does that work?

3. If they have the iPad pre-IOS 5, how do they update their iPad to IOS 5 when it comes out? Will that IOS 5 update, initially, have to be done via iTunes, but then going fwd, it can be done over the air?

Thanks

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, BUT I would suggest you set them up with their own iTunes account linked to THEIR credit card!

Log out of your account in iTunes and create a new iTunes account. Then setup their iPad. When you're done you can log back in to your account.

I think your only options are:

1) Pay for MobileMe (dumb as you're paying for only the next few months) and then wait for their @me account to transfer to iCloud. NEVERMIND! You can't even sign up anymore so that's out.

2) Tell them to go without e-mail until iCloud comes out. (ehhh)

3) Just get them a G-mail account.

I'd go with 3, but it's up to you.

I don't think we know for sure yet. Are you buying them an Apple router? Waiting for the new one is probably smart. I think they'll be able to do all future updates with that. It's possible they'll have to bring it back to you to get iOS 5, I don't think we know. But after that they should be able to live off an Airport Router + iPad as their only devices.

Bottom line is, you're on the real cutting edge here. Setting someone up as an iPad-only household will be SO much easier by the end of this year. You can do it but some of these hickups are just something you'll have to put up with for the summer.

3. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

1. Whew, I'm glad you mentioned that about itunes. That completely slipped my mind and I would have had it set up under my account. Ok, I'll create them a new iTunes account and go that route.

2. So if I have them go the g-mail route, they can use that as a temporary email account until iCloud rolls out and then they can register for an iCloud email address? Will their iCloud email address be the same ID as the ID I use to create their iTunes account?

3. No, they will not have an apple router. They will have a 3rd party router and only an iPad going fwd. I'm thinking I could just visit them once IOS 5 is out and update their iPad. Then, I'm correct in assuming that with IOS 5 on their iPad, they can just go to Settings>Check for updates on their own, going forward, for over-the-air updates, right?

4. Himynamesnoah macrumors member

If you want, ill make you a couple iCloud emails for free. You can just log into them on any iOS device, or use an email client on the computer such as outlook or like thunderbird.
    Just pm me the email name and pass.

5. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

That's quite nice of you! I'll shoot you a PM here shortly. I would need 2 email addresses (one for my mother, one for my father). I'm assuming once you create them and i give them their new iPad, they would open up their Mail app and tap on "MobileMe" to set it up? and then I would have to change their passwords for them, correct?

Thank you again, that's quite nice of you!

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It sounds as if the next poster below you is solving this, but just so you know...

My AppleID, iTunes ID, and MobileMe name are all different. I'm assuming this means iCloud names won't be the same as your iTunes ID name.

7. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Thank you to the both of you for your answers and help.

I know my parents are very excited to get the iPad (it's their first "computer" ever and first email account ever...they're pretty old), so I extend their Thank You's to you both as well.

8. Himynamesnoah macrumors member

If you have an iOS device you can change the password now for them, or as soon as they get their iPad they can go to the email settings and put in their iCloud email under MobileMe.
    The iCloud email can become their Apple ID, or however they want to do it.

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

How old are your parents? I'm just curious to see the (older) age demographic that is wanting iPads.

10. JWalker1995 macrumors regular

How can you make iCloud email addresses??
    Could you make me one please? :):cool:

11. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Just make a new apple ID for them. When iOS5 is out, they will be able to update over the air and won't have to annoy you anymore (goes for all of us sons/daughters who are our parents' technology geeks!) ;)

12. Himynamesnoah macrumors member

Theyre both made, just check your PM's. I can't make anymore due to my creation limit reached. Sorry guys.

13. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I'm very grateful. Thank you!

14. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Mother and Father are both 61. They've never owned a computer and have never had an email account before. They wanted to get a laptop so they could stay in touch with myself, my brother and see pictures of grandchildren, etc. I was afraid that a laptop would be overwhelming for them and in reality, it's too much machine for them. So I took them to Best Buy last Saturday and introduced them to the iPad 2. They fell in absolute love with it. I had to pull them away from the demo units after they monopolized them for about 45 minutes straight. They were like little kids as we walked out of the store...whining and frowning about how they wanted it now. LOL...I told them to be patient and wait (because i had to make sure i was educated first on having an iPad as their only "computer" before I got them one").

15. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

My parents are 65 and 70 and don't do anything past a basic cell phone (not a smartphone). My dad started texting me a few years ago and that was a surprise! I don't think they'll ever be brave enough for an iPad.

16. RayK macrumors 6502

My dad doesn't text and is scared of computers, but loves my iPad. I would get him one for fathers day, it'll have to wait until a bit later I guess. He loves that and my iPhone whenever we go out to eat. It replaces the paper for him. Very cool.

17. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Really, an iPad could be worth a try -- FaceTime alone on the iPad 2 is potentially a very simple solution for older people to keep in touch with family and friends; once iOS5 is publically released, iMessage and other features will make it an even better platform for older or less technically minded people. It's certainly easier than texting from a phone!

I got my parents an iPad last year, and they are very keen to upgrade to an iPad 2. :cool:

18. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

same here. my parents both refuse to learn how to text message and still have an old school flip phone. however, they seem to really gravitate towards the ipad.

19. JWalker1995 macrumors regular

was one for me by any chance??

20. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

My dad wanted to start text messaging so we gave him an old iPhone 3G. He loves the virtual keyboard since he has arthritis and it's easier than physical buttons. I don't think he's installed a single app, though.

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Suggestion for OP>> I set my elderly mother up with an iPad and she loves it. But you may want to go to settings/general/restrictions and enable some of the settings in there. I set it up so she could not delete apps for example because she kept holding her finger when trying to launch an app too long and the wiggle thing would start and she would accidentally delete apps. Also maybe lock down the mail account settings in there so they don't accidentally change them.

22. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

great advice, i'll do just that! i have a feeling they will be so excited that they will throw caution to the wind.