All iPads iPad for Navigation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CoMoMacUser, Sep 24, 2013.

1. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I'm going on a road trip. I've got an iPad 1 with cellular, but I haven't activated service in years. I'd like to know if it's possible -- and if so, how -- to store a route and then have the iPad's GPS work with the app to provide navigation.

I could use my phone, but I'll be in the boondocks much of the way, and I don't want to worry about roaming and battery life.

2. aypues macrumors regular

Yes, i do it everyday! Download Waze! You'll need a power source though as it really sucks the battery down quickly

3. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

You need to get an app which will allow you to use offline maps, which you load onto your ipad before you go.

The cheap way to go is MotionX GPS drive. I believe the problem with this is that while you can download the maps, it still relies on an internet connection to do the route planning. Plus, I am not real fond of the user interface.

If you are making a long trip, consider a more "professional" mapping solution. NAVIGON to me seems to be the best choice, and at $32 for all US ($20 for regional maps) is a reasonable price (I paid $50 for west coast maps only).

4. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I use Tomtom on my iPad mini almost everyday, works like a charm!
    I've made a "sort of dock" so I can dock my iPad in landscape in my ashtray.

Don't know if the tomtom app works with an iPad1, but can't imagine that it doesn't work.

5. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Could try NavFree...available for loads of countries and stores the maps on the device so dont need a data signal. I think for the US you download the states you require.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You just need an app that uses locally stored map data and there are several options out there.

Or you can do this if you're willing to do so. I don't care for the hassle but YMMV.

7. CoMoMacUser thread starter macrumors 6502a