ipad for navigon via iphone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dukebound85, Feb 25, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is there a way that I can use the ipad screen to run navigon but use the gps signal from the iphone? in a form of wifi relay or something?

I have a ipad2 16gig wifi only and an iphone 4

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

If your iPhone 4 is jailbroken you can tether your iPad with your iPhone. This will allow you to run Navagon on your iPad.

3. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

If your iPad is hooked up to iPhone via wifi tethering, it'll give you some rough estimate location information based on wifi pick ups. However I don't think it'll work outside the city and not as accurate as GPS although it can be surprisingly decent in my experience.

If you want real GPS on your wifi iPad, I believe you have to jailbreak it and get Cydia apps. I haven't personally tried it with my iPad although I had some success with my iPod a few years back.

http://dailyiphoneblog.com/2011/07/...i-fi-as-a-gps-with-trygpsout-and-btstack-gps/

4. GearDriven macrumors newbie

Better Solution

I'd recommend either the Emprum (dock connector), Bad Elf (dock connector) or Dual XGPS150 (bluetooth). They not only will provide better reception than the iPhone or 3g iPad, but also they update 5 to 10 times per second vs the 1 time per second on the iPad. Otherwise