Ipad for Patent Lawyers/USPTO exam

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Germwise, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

I'm considering a pretty big career change from Research Scientist to Patent Lawyer. Without dwelling on the subject, I feel I'll be able to make a larger contribution to society and also make a better living with this move. My plan is to take the exam and start as a patent agent and then decide whether or not to go to night law-school.

Having said that, I've started studying for the USPTO exam. I'm spending my evenings going through iTunesU courses on patent law and I'm looking at other ways to use an iPad to help me along this process.

Are there any apps or other resources that will help me prepare for the exam?

Are there any apps that I will use as an agent?

As an aside, If anyone else has made a similar move I'd love the chance to pick at your brain and hear your experience. Feel free to post here or PM me if you can have more private conversations.

Thank you again.

2. Mac429 macrumors newbie

I'm a patent attorney and took the test about 4 yrs ago. I'm not sure what the content of the iTunes U courses is but the shear amount of info is crazy. My best tip is to go out there and find the forums where people post recent questions they've seen on the exam. This will help you focus your studying and will actually give you a few questions that you'll probably see on your own exam.

With regard to apps, you'll find that you'll just be going to the uspto website. I still haven't found any good apps for tm or patent searches in the us.

3. NestOfRobins macrumors member

As far as studying for the exam, the best suggestion I can give is to keep taking practice exams. I am not sure how they do it now, but back in '98 (when the claim construction section was separate), the only way to really practice was to take exams. At the time, Kayton (via PRG) had some excellent practice software.

W/ respect to apps, the only one I found even partially useful is called Patent Portal. It allows you to search for a US patent (not sure about published applications) based on bibliographic data.

What else would you be looking for?

4. Germwise thread starter macrumors regular

I'm surprised.

I was hoping to find some test taking software (a la practice exams on the ipad) or flash card packs or even summaries on important MPEP sections.

I think the ipad can be such a powerful teaching tool. Other than that any advice on a transition from science > patents would be useful though slightly out of topic.

If anyone would like to pass on advice on getting that first position please PM me!

Thanks