Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

india349

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Minneapolis, MN, USA
I know there are a million "Should I get an iPad?" threads and I've been reading them...honestly...but I hope my story is a little different.

I once had a MacBook. Things were great, I thought. The screen was a good enough resolution that I could see, despite my vision issues. When the MacBook was getting a little long in the tooth, I was debating on which kind of new laptop I wanted. I really wanted a big screen, but I HATED lugging my laptop around, even the 13" MacBook. So then I thought, maybe a netbook, but one look at the screen left me squinting at every bit of text and I decided that probably wasn't going to be for me.

Rather than justify an MBP price, I settled on a 17" PC laptop (I know, kind of lame, but I really haven't had any problems with Windows). Unfortunately, the computer is basically stationary (it's a definite homebody, barely "luggable") and now I'm in the market for a mobile piece of technology.

When I went to the Apple Store and checked out the iPads, I was immediately impressed at the quality of the screen. This device could be perfect for me. But then I remember, I own a Kindle and a smartphone already - would it really be necessary to add another device?

My question may seem obscure, so I guess I'll try to simplify: I am looking for a device with better browsing and document capabilities than my teeny smartphone. I'm not too much of a movie watcher, but I do love me some TED.com and Youtube searching quite a bit. I'm a huge news junkie and a big reader, which is a space largely taken over by my Kindle already, but maybe I could sell it if necessary and start consolidating devices.

So is an iPad a good fit? Or is this all just a dream bubble I can just burst and move on?

Thanks
india349

india349

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Minneapolis, MN, USA
WOW! I had no idea that the iPad had accessibility options like that! Thank you for showing me that, Consultant!

I'm still wondering if the iPad would be a good match for my Kindle/laptop/smartphone at least while on the go.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
iPad on the go = WIN.

for me, my laptop has become a stationary unit. simply because it can hold more information (storage unit), because it's heavier than my iPad, and also because when I need to use my laptop to write papers and such, I like to be in my room. I need something on the go, that's light, powerful, and fun (IPAD).

A smartphone is mostly a phone with cool on the fly capabilities (email, browsing, apps, etc.) However, it lacks the large screen to really utilize word processing, spreadsheets, movies, etc. This is where the iPad comes in.

As for the Kindle, iPad has the Kindle App, as well as their own eBookstore. AND if comics are your thing - Marvel Comics and DC Comics. Very nice apps, with plenty of free comic updates.

Youtube is splendid to use on the iPad, I browse videos all the time.

From what information you've given us, I'd suggest buying an iPad, and maybe even selling the Kindle.

Hope this helps

india349

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Minneapolis, MN, USA
I'm hesitant to get rid of the Kindle because I got it just under a year ago and now with the rather extreme price drop, I know I wouldn't be able to get a really good deal. Besides, after reading dozen of novels on it, I don't know if I could go to the iPad full time for ebooks. Still, I use the Kindle PC app and that's good for a light read or catching up when I have a few minutes - I feel like the iPad app would function in the same manner.

That being said, $500 minimum cost might have to wait for a bit. It's a bit steep right now, and if I've waited this long, I might as well start saving now (yes, I'm one of those people not wanting to buy anything on credit) and see if they plan a price drop or getting rid of wi-fi only and offering the 3G models at the wi-fi price or something like that.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
india349

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.